Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rwanda/Uganda/Kenya W

Old Sunday 29th November 2009, 13:29   #1
Sussex bird man

Rwanda/Uganda/Kenya W

Hi All,

I've booked a two-week holiday to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. My other half's interest is in the gorillas but for me I'm trying to sus out what the birding is like at particular locations - given that this isn't a birding trip per se!

The route goes Kigali-Ruhengeri-Bunyoni-Ngamba Island/Entebbe-Jinja-Eldoret-Nakuru-Naivasha-Masai Mara-Nairobi. Of these countries I've only been to Kenya before and then only Tsavo W/E and Mombasa.

I've searched these forums but I'm struggling to find anything on these locations. Any ideas, thoughts? The route is a done-deal so I'm just trying to maximise what I can get out of the trip!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Martin

It seems I'm posting in the wrong place!! Sorry......

Last edited by Sussex bird man : Sunday 29th November 2009 at 14:27.
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 15:06   #2
xav

In Rwanda, if you can change teh itinerary, try to add the NYUNGWE forest (South-West of Rwanda), one of the best primary forests in Africa. You can see lots of "Albertine Rift" endemics including the Red-Collared mountain babbler (+ Rwenzori turaco is easy to see,...). If you go there, you've to book a guide (ranger) from the park office to come with you in the forest, try to get Claver, he knows all the birds & their songs. Nyungwe is also a good place to see monkeys (chimpanzees, colobus,...), butterflies,...

When you walk for the gorillas, you're with other tourists, so you don't really have the time to stop to watch birds (+ the Volcanoes NP isn't as rich as Nyungwe). LOTS of people are living in the Ruhengeri/Volcanoes NP area >> farmlands everywhere >> not so many birds outside the protected areas.

I hope this will help you out.

Xavier
Old Monday 7th December 2009, 19:09   #3
Selsey Birder

Martin,

Check your e-mail and let me know if you want info.

Ian
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: