• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eyepiece adapter 1.25 for spotting scope Vortex Viper New Generation? (1 Viewer)

vwmitaux

Greetings to all I am to buy a spotting scope Vortex Viper New Genaracion and I would like to use an eyepiece adapter to use it for occasional astronomy, there will be in the market some Adapter that can be used in the Viper.

The Vortex HD looked very similiar like the Swaro ATS scopes, and the swaro-zoom looks very similiar in mechanics like the Viper-zoom. Thus it could be possible, that they are compatible - but with a veryvery uncertainity. If this were true, a swaro-adapter for 1,25" could fit the Vortex…

But there is the next question - which 1,25" eyepieces can be used or can focus at infinity?

Questionmark
Manfred

There have been reports that the Vortex bayonet is compatible with the bayonet on Swarovski ATM/ATS and STM/STS scopes. Swarovski offered an astro-adapter years ago and the dealer, Jülich in Bonn re-manufactured some with Swarovski's approval.

I have one of these for my ATM 65HD. It has unfortunately also been discontinued but works well with a variety of astro eyepieces. I can achieve infinity focus with Televue Plössl, Panoptic, Nagler Type 6, Edmund RKE, Baader Eudiascopic and Vixen NLV, although the latter two are problematic on my Kowa 883.

I have just seen this: https://shop.zeiss.de/Sports Optics/ZEISS-Astro-Adapter-zid4047006834501?tracking=searchterm: and the bayonet is very similar to my Swarovski/Jülich adapter. I assume that the Zeiss Gavia, like the Vortex scope, is made by Kamakura and shares a Swarovski compatible bayonet. Could be a solution to your problem.

John

If you like TV-exepieces, it's good to look in their eyepiece-table. The critical values are B minus F: for my DiaScope85 all of my TV with B - F <= 0.95 reaches infinity, e.g. the 'uncritical' Radian; also Delos should work. (The Nagler 17 T4 reaches objects to 500m, but sadly not infinity…) The table lists the values in inches. Baader have the table for the Morpheus (values in millimeter) - except the 17,5mm there is B the reference plane to all ohter focal lengths.
You can also look for the eyepieces for the APM 100 (e.g. cloudynights), there are often eyepieces discussed, that will reach infinity.

good decision
Manfred

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back