• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I use a photo of a cage bird in an opus entry? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I know that generally speaking, the gallery does not accept pictures of captive birds. However, for Puerto Rican Parrot, I have a photo of a bird from the captive breeding program, and the species is not in the gallery. There are a few free-flying birds out there, but most of them have a past in the captive breeding program anyway, and I dont have a picture of them. Should I make an exception and post the captive photo? (cage clearly visible).

thanks
Niels

I'm afraid not.

If it's in a cage then it's captive and if in a breeidng program it's not 'wild' until it's been released and is self supporting. Bird Forum is about wild birds whether it be the gallery, forums or Opus.

though I agree that Birdforum is rightly about wild birds, I think in this case a picture should be allowed, even if it is of a captive bird. Naturally, this should be updated to show a wild bird once it is possible, but it would be a shame to have information on this bird's appearance lacking, when it is available. Does this also mean that Little Blue Macaw (Spix's Macaw) should be deleted from the opus as the entire world population is in captivity?

The entry for Spix's Macaw can remain in place - we have extinct species listed as well - but a photo of a captive bird isn't appropriate for either the Gallery or Opus.

I will live with the answer. I thought the circumstances around the photo might warrant a dispensation.

Cheers
Niels

Niels and Ian,
I just had a thought about this problem. If the photo of the parrot was hosted on an independent website, could a link to that webpage be added to the information section on the Opus page?

I'm willing to host a photo on my website, in fact we travelled to Puerto Rico 3 years ago, to take a cruise in the eastern Caribbean. I have always meant to write up a trip report for the birds we saw on all of the islands we stopped at, so this would spur me on to get it done!

Let me know your thoughts.

Helen,
I have already in the opus entry http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Puerto_Rican_Parrot included a link to the US Fish and Wildlife Service page for the PR parrot recovery program. On that page there is a small but recognizable image of a parrot. In other words, if someone wants to see the species, it is possible to find a picture.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back