• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Unknown Hawk Help Please (1 Viewer)

catmadden

SquirrelFreak
Seen at Henry Cowell State Park, Felton, CA up high in tree. I know the photo is poor quality but please, you guys rock at poor quality photo ids!
Thank you in advance!
As inside info always helps: I snap the pic but my husband saw it flying and landing. He says it was small, maybe 12 - 13 inches and flew like an accipitor? He thought maybe Coopers.

Last edited:
Hmmm..

I'm thinking red tail but not sure maybe this could help.

Attachments

• Unknown%20Hawk.jpg
    Unknown%20Hawk.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 90
I don't think it's a red-tail because the belly band is missing.
I'm guessing it's a sub-adult Swainson's Hawk. Let's see what others say.

Sure seems like an Accipter, and Cooper's fits better (tail, legs from what we can see, size, proportions, etc).

I guess I eliminated accipters right out of the gate thinking the tail was not long enough. The shot was taken from below so that distorts length. As Coopers hawks go this looks nothing like the Immature Coops that has been hunting at my feeders every morning. As we all know hawks can vary greatly in plume.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back