• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Francolin Chobe Elephant Park Botswana June 2015 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,

Francolin for id please at Chobe Elephant Park in NE Botswana near Kasane.

I thought Crested but the throat is not speckled with black spots or the legs red as depicted in SASOL 4

Thank you very much

Attachments

• ARD_5355.jpg
    ARD_5355.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 66
blimey Andy, you're not half chucking 'em at us! Agree it looks a bit odd for Crested. What about a very young Natal Francolin? Found a pic on google images labeled Natal F, with much younger chicks, that show similar face pattern and markings on ups.

These 2 were from Etosha east just inside the gate taken from the back of moving safari jeep one very cold morning. Apologies for IQ

I think these are Crested.

Many thanks

Attachments

• ARD_0576.JPG
    ARD_0576.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 35
I think you should consider Orange River Francolin for the juv. bird. Check the barred flight-feathers.

Lat two def Crested,
may not be fully formed yet but bill I think is too small for ORF on the juv?

SASOL actually illistrates juv Crested and it looks ok for that to me.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks KGS I see what you mean.

Andy, thanks. What version of SASOL do you have? SASOL 4 shows rovuma and sephaena ssps as adults.

if you click here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=natal+francolin+juvenile&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=CIqdVf69KYq5UcObn7gL on google images
and then click on the pic in the fourth row down in the middle (the adult Natal Francolin with 3 chicks), some of the markings are (for me) uncannily similar to Andy H's bird, including the barring on the flight feathers. Admittedly the chicks are a lot younger, but is a progression to the OP bird's plumage out of the question?

Again, I think we need a local here, and very much doubt there's a southern African field guide that can sort this one out!

if you click here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=natal+francolin+juvenile&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=CIqdVf69KYq5UcObn7gL on google images
and then click on the pic in the fourth row down in the middle (the adult Natal Francolin with 3 chicks), some of the markings are (for me) uncannily similar to Andy H's bird, including the barring on the flight feathers. Admittedly the chicks are a lot younger, but is a progression to the OP bird's plumage out of the question?

Again, I think we need a local here, and very much doubt there's a southern African field guide that can sort this one out!

Fairly convincing comparison I think

My Newman (3rd edition) doesn't show any Francolin juveniles.

Thanks Pete

if you click here:

Fairly convincing comparison I think

Yes, indeed Thanks guys B :)

HBW or BOA, Urban, Newman et may show juvs?

Got them all at home but not here

That broad eystripe is apparent on some of the young Natals at the link tho.

Andy

If this isn't sorted by the time I go back to the UK next week, I'll have a look in the books and scan any relevant pages if there are any.

Just to say also that you can often pick up Birds of Africa at a great discount, second hand on e.g ebay.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back