• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Good bird Steve, very few Marsh sandpipers have been seen for the last couple of years.
Terrific rain storms here today so I guess the Bat Walk will be cancelled but the bird life may be stirred up a bit. The weekend will reveal the answer to that. Mike

Despite the high winds and rain, the sky has been full of hirundines this afternoon here in the south east. They were mostly Barn swallows with a few House Martins.
Also, from the roof last night, I watched two super-sleek raptors leave the Island heading south straight out to sea. By the jizz and shorter tail, I am sure they were Hobbies. They were ahead of the storm which would mean they were migrating at night. I'm not sure if this is unusual. Others may know more. Mike

I have just read an interesting article about the migration of Hobbies which were tracked by satellite tags and they did indeed migrate by night towards Gibraltar. It may be worth an evening excursion to the Cap to see if anything leaves the Island at that time. I will pop down there and see. Mike

Barn Swallows continue to pour past the south-east in their hundreds. In with them were over 50 Swift species, they looked like Common to me but I can't be sure as I know the date is late for them whereas Pallid are seen here much later in the year. I know Philip saw some Common Swift yesterday so it's not out of the question. Mike

No sign of yesterday's Marsh sand by 1pm but wood, green, Common Sands, little Stints, Dunlin, Bar T Godwit, lrp, Ringed and kentish, b w stilts.
Juv Cuckoo Salbufera.
Steve.

Had a final morning in Puerto Pollenca yesterday. Nice to see some Audoin's gulls on the beach, the purple heron was still at LaGola, as were several firecrests. A drive across the Island to Portocristo placed us in the centre of the awful afternoon storms - flash floods engulfed roads and parked cars, and prevented any birding (although there were a few Audoin's gulls on the beach). So it was back to the airport without adding to the trip list!

As ever, we had a great time - can't wait to return, probably back next in June 2018.

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 84
Hi Jasmacq, there should be some good birds around the entrance to the Boquer. There have been some big storms so migrants may well have put down on the Island. Good luck and do let us know what you see. Mike

A good morning at the Cap with two Bonelli's eagles, many Booted eagles, Marsh Harrier, a Montagu's Harrier, a Common Buzzard, a couple of Honey Buzzard (and ten minutes after I left, eleven more) Wheatears, Willow warblers, Whitethroat and one Rock sparrow at passatge no. 5. All great fun, Mike

Over 70 more Honey Buzzard came past the Cap after I left today, with over 100 past the Island of Cabrera. Also one Hobby and an Osprey brought the total number of raptor species seen to 12. Not bad.
Seafood paella at our local restaurant made up for it though, as did the siesta. Mike

Lovely evening at the Depuradora S'Illiot made even better by the presence of a flighty Marsh Sandpiper on the lagoons and a Temminck's Stint on a flooded field close to the platform. A couple of Glossy Ibis were also present briefly.
Graham

Fab morning at Cap Ses Selines, with movement south of 22 Honey Buzzards, 6 Hobbies, 2 Booted Eagles and 6 Marsh Harriers. Also present were 8 Red Kites, 7 Eleonoras Falcons, 3 Peregrines and several Kestrels, so a bit of a raptor fest! Also notable was a Caspian Tern which flew west offshore (a description species in the Balearics.

Congratulations Jason and Steve on a great morning. I'm not surprised that the Caspian tern needs a description, the last one I saw was at the same place...in 1989! Mike

Last edited:
Congratulations Jason and Steve on a great morning. I'm not surprised that the Caspian tern needs a description, the last one I saw was at the same place...in 1989! Mike

They seem to be getting more frequent or I've been very lucky. I've had several in recent years and even have some photos somewhere.
Martin.
Just located. Seen at s'Albufera on 4 October 2015. Didn't realise it needed a description at the time.

Attachments

• Caspian Tern, Sa Roca. s'Albufera, 4.x.2015 edit.jpg
    Caspian Tern, Sa Roca. s'Albufera, 4.x.2015 edit.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Seven Honey Buzzard through the Cap this morning and one migrant Marsh Harrier and two Kestrels. Also a group of 85 Bee-eaters heading for Africa, spectacular. Mike

A good morning at the Cap with 10 Honey Buzzards, 3 Black Kites, 2 migrating Booted Eagles, a Peregrine, 7 flocks of Bee-eaters with the total number nearing 100 and the usual local Red Kites, Kestrels and Booted Eagles.
At Passage 5, 3 Wheatears and a handful of Thekla Larks. I could not find the Rock Sparrows.
At Prat de San Jordi by the airport, quite a bit of water from the recent rain.
About 25 BW Stilts, 3 Wood sandpipers, 5 Common Sandpipers, and a Ruff. Plus dozens of Dragonflies, I don't think I have ever seen that many in such a small area.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back