• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much better is...? (1 Viewer)

From what I remember, after having used both side by side, is that the most noticeable difference is that the larger model exhibits less color fringing than the smaller one. I am trying to remember if the edge performance was better on one or or the other but cannot.

Ofcourse the little EL is the most ergonomic binocular I have ever held.

From what I remember, after having used both side by side, is that the most noticeable difference is that the larger model exhibits less color fringing than the smaller one. I am trying to remember if the edge performance was better on one or or the other but cannot.

Ofcourse the little EL is the most ergonomic binocular I have ever held.

Nice ergonomics but not top optics. Zeiss's FL beat it by a long shot.

And your opinion regarding that is relevant to this thread how? Has anyone in this thread asked about Zeiss? Is it really necessary to promote your personal favorite bin on every thread regardless of the topic?

In any event, it's a gross exaggeration in my opinion and the opinion of most birders. I'd agree Zeiss is slightly better, but the difference is minimal. A comparison review in which a team of birders voted on the optical quality of the two and other high-end bins gave both the same top score for image quality: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/chart_main.html

Best,
Jim

I haven't tried them side by side, but I have read that in reviews. However, with my difficulty holding small closed bridged roofs steady, it would not surprise me if I could see more detail with the EL than the FL.

The Nikon 8x32 LX also beat the EL in optics (Kimmo's tests in Alula), but unless I was seated or standing and well braced against a fence or tree branch, the images shook to the point where it negated its higher resolution.

When I was well braced, the images were awesome and I could see subtle field markings.

When it comes to handheld optics, ergonomics can trump optics. If you can't hold a bin steady, it doesn't matter if it's sharper than the competition (except for the purposes of "bench testing").

Interesting to note from Frank's observations above that when I compared an older EL (2001?) to a 2009 8x30 SLCNeu, the smaller bin showed less CA under the same conditions.

This, despite the fact that the EL has a longer focal length. In this case, the more advanced coatings (and perhaps better glass) made the difference.

In fact, the CA is so well controlled in the 8x30 SLCNeu under all but the most extreme conditions that I think it would be a waste for Swaro to upgrade this model with HD glass. It would add unnecessary expense ala Holger's dictum. And this is from someone who is sensitive to CA.

The 8.5x42 EL (old model) to the 8x32 EL?

Matt

I owned both at various stages, Matt, and the 8.5x42 is obviously brighter and sharper. Hard to compare exactly when they´re different mags, though. The 8.5x42 is chunky but comfortable. The 8x32 has wider FOV, maybe a little more CA (but not much), and is quite the most wonderful bino to hold (IMHO!). Now I have the SV 8.5x42, which ergonomically falls somewhere between the two, and optically tops both.

A wider field in the 32mm (even compensating for the 8.5x in the bigger bin).

The 10x32 EL I think has the widest FOV of any current 10x at 6.8 degrees IIRC.

Yet another part of the trade off in properties!

Thanks for the replies everyone, nice that Swaro have bought out the Swarovision but it does cost quite a bit and cheaper old models of the EL are getting harder to track down new (not that there's much in it of course!!)

If I were to make a purchase I'm just weighing up the options....or maybe I'll just throw caution to the wind and get a Swarovsion!!

Re the Zeiss...compared them to Swaro and Leica and just prefer the Swaro.

Matt

Thanks for the replies everyone, nice that Swaro have bought out the Swarovision but it does cost quite a bit and cheaper old models of the EL are getting harder to track down new (not that there's much in it of course!!)

If I were to make a purchase I'm just weighing up the options....or maybe I'll just throw caution to the wind and get a Swarovsion!!

Re the Zeiss...compared them to Swaro and Leica and just prefer the Swaro.

Matt

Beware of the Rolling Ball. Apparently, it can "creep up" on you. I thought that either you saw it or you didn't. Or that either it bothered you or it didn't.

But a recent buyer posted that he didn't see it at first, and then he couldn't stop seeing it, and ended up returning the bin.

So if you have tried the SV EL or don't know if you are sensitive to "rolling ball," buy from a store with a liberal return period.

Beware of the Rolling Ball. Apparently, it can "creep up" on you. I thought that either you saw it or you didn't. Or that either it bothered you or it didn't.

But a recent buyer posted that he didn't see it at first, and then he couldn't stop seeing it, and ended up returning the bin.

So if you have tried the SV EL or don't know if you are sensitive to "rolling ball," buy from a store with a liberal return period.

I tried looking for this rolling ball effect while checking out the SV's at Rutland birdfair and despite looking I couldn't see it....or maybe I did and it just didn't bother me!!

Seriously thinking about the new SLC HD!!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back