• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

To escape the bogging, I know I should stop, sketch, dabble and learn, forget about big finished work for a little while. So that's the resolution for this spring up-coming.

Thanks for the encouragement all- its only mild bogging rather than any grander form of artist's despair, so a bit o' drawing should do the trick.

Here's a Ringed Plover puffed upon the roost yesterday- actually yawning rather than calling, but it would take a bit of cartooning to make that clearer.

Attachments

• q9550DSC_5768.jpg
    q9550DSC_5768.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 49
  • q9550DSC_5770.jpg
    q9550DSC_5770.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the encouragement all- its only mild bogging rather than any grander form of artist's despair, so a bit o' drawing should do the trick.

Here's a Ringed Plover puffed upon the roost yesterday- actually yawning rather than calling, but it would take a bit of cartooning to make that clearer.

Wonderful work on that bored/tired plover!

Love the yawning plover! Birds work so hard just to earn continued survival that I'm surprised we don't see them yawning more often...!

Love the yawning plover! Birds work so hard just to earn continued survival that I'm surprised we don't see them yawning more often...!

oof- bumped onto page 2

well-done you up threaders

slightly distracted by other things, but still trying to stick to a pic-a-month discipline

March as looking tricky, but I had a spare hour the other day whilst on a non-bird mission, sneaked into Rye Meads RSPB and hired some RSPB bins for £1.50 and found myself talking to a Kingfisher- too close, too samey samey with a million photos, but close enough to whisper to it to flip upstream to a big tangle of recently uprooted roots and arrange itself more interestingly- and happily it did

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_5792.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_5792.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 87
Now Ed thats one hell of a tangle of roots rendered perfect to my eyes and luckily they are still young enough to pick out the fisher BRILLIANT sir:t:

Now then mate - there's so much of this last painting which is superb, but especially the rendering of the water's surface laft of the (amazingly) tangled roots. These moments in your work are utterly beautiful - lovely indeed. I suppose the kingfisher is in there because it's a painting of a kingfisher, but you could just as easily left it out and titled it the same. Love it.

Hello all.

April kind of slid by with various doings, but to get rolling again I've blown the dust off the easel and repainted the fluffed Beardies of March.

Now to confront the colours of spring: I see it's busy fingers have been daubing vile green all about. There've been some great drake Shovelers loafing in the marsh and really I should try and do them justice rather than creeping about looking for Garganey that aren't there.

Attachments

• q9550DSC_5841.jpg
    q9550DSC_5841.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 98
Now to confront the colours of spring: I see it's busy fingers have been daubing vile green all about...

Vile Green All About?!?! We just came home from birding in an area where spring has barely arrived, and migrants are quite visible, to find a lush jungle surrounding our house. But I have to confess it was nice to see. Painting those vile greens on the other hand is something else!

Wonderful painting in your unique style Ed!! We will see where the vile greens lead. I imagine one day I'll be shocked to see another unique painting largely in green.

Vile Green All About?!?!

Actually I looked a little too far forward with that comment- as of today the vile greens are still only slimey fingers reaching say six inches up into the beautiful remains of winter, but not yet all over it.

Here's a shot at capturing a full plumage drake Shoveler from last week, doing his harlequin hippo thing and maybe pondering the spring that has passed. This week his ducklings are hatching and by next week he will be moulting.

Once again this started as an effort at a sensitive and dripping watercolour, but it went wrong and so got the big stick applied to it.

Attachments

• q9550DSC_5865.jpg
    q9550DSC_5865.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back