• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SDL zoom vs fixed HDF eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
The title says it all, looking at eyepieces at around 28-32ish magnification on either 66 or 80mm objective scopes and wandering which would offer the best image quality?

Anyone with experience of the above, your thoughts welcomed.

Matt

Hi Matt, I've had a HR66 for years and always thought it a sharp scope. Recently I traded it in for a HR80+SDLv2 to give me extra reach (I'm often at Rutland Water). To my 58 year old eyes, the SDL at 38x gives as good an image as the HDF 38ww (though with a narrower field of view of course). I almost exclusively use the SDL because I can zoom in if I see anything interesting. I'm also not bothered about the field of view because I normally scan with bins. At 72x sharp focusing is in a very narrow band but certainly there and with virtually no drop of in image. I'm really happy with this HR80 + SDL combination and can't envisage ever needing anything else.

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely check out the zoom with the bigger scopes. We currently use the brands mighty midget 50mm ed but could definitely use a little more reach!

Matt

Nice one Matt. If you don't mind a straight rather than angled scope, there's some good deals on the HR80 at the moment. I got mine from Infocus and saved myself £250.

Bill.

I'm a spectacle wearer, and have an HR80 GA ED telescope with SDL vs 2 eyepiece. I also have a fixed Opticron eyepiece, 27x (with this 'scope) WW HDF eyepiece. Both combos work well. Normally I use the fixed eyepiece on an old Opticron HR60 ED 'scope, 20x with this 'scope.
The HR80 GA ED telescope gives a cleaner, bluer image and in poor conditions (e.g. misty) the clarity is much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back