• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2018 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the fifth annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan, local time.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change your plans specially, Unless you were planning not to go birding, in which case please DO change your plans!

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can see how it works. Each thread has a link to the previous year in its first post.

Last year's totals: Europe 197 (UK 148, Rest of Europe 127), North America 180 (USA 172, Canada 16), East Asia 87

2016 figures: USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.
2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.

If the weather's good I'll be out all day (this year's plan is to stay entirely in Hampshire but the objective is still a century), if its rubbish I'll at least stare out of the window.

Question: what was the total list ("World") for each year?

John

Last edited:
Souds good. Not sure what my plans are that day. I will probably not travel, so an hour might give something, like brown creeper or even a harrier.

Question: what was the total list ("World") for each year?

I've always ducked trying to do a global total because I don't have the expertise to match up the different taxonomies used in the different regions and work out if species with different names count as 1 or 2. If someone more knowledgeable than me fancied a go at it, there are spreadsheets and/or plain text lists of all the regional totals in each thread so it should in principle be doable.

UK total was 156 last year, was it not?

Yes, it was. I read the wrong part of last year's thread when giving that total. Makes last year's UK figure that little bit harder to beat...

Yes, it was. I read the wrong part of last year's thread when giving that total. Makes last year's UK figure that little bit harder to beat...

Weather looks relatively ideal:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=3

My current plan is to head off patch for the first year in a long time. Our patch daylist record for January 1st is (I think) 82 so it will be interesting to see if I can beat that. My co-participant has just sent through the itinerary so I need to look at that now.....

All the best

Last edited:
Any predictions for the first bird to be reported on 1 Jan?

I'll predict a Black Swan in New Zealand, at 00.01 by torchlight.

Any predictions for the first bird to be reported on 1 Jan?

I'll predict a Black Swan in New Zealand, at 00.01 by torchlight.

But will anyone on BF in NZ take part??

My personal prediction for myself (isn't there usually a thread for that?) is Herring Gull by streetlight ...

For Europe:

Wryneck
White Wagtail
Dunnock
Robin
Stonechat (heard only)
Black Redstart
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Redwing
Song Thrush
Cetti's Warbler
Blackcap
Sardinian Warbler
Chiffchaff
Goldcrest
Starling
Spanish Sparrow
Chaffinch
Hawfinch
Serin (heard only)

Missed several common species (wrong habitat), but I'm sure others will get them.

I had every intention of a birding day this year (last year I was too new to be organized) but flu and dead car battery have me house bound. Weather has warmed up from -38 to -23C wind chill, but I haven't casually seen or heard a bird in days.
Happy New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back