• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

Happy to add another one to the list when I got home from work, the Blue Tit chasing it off the feeders wasn't as happy though.

45. Long-tailed Tit

Funny old day....rained most of!...(no two are the same), my 4th Bullfinch grdn.sighting of the year (just one last year!), brief views of a Chiff Chaff with all brown uppers! then followed by two flyover Goosander! no.58.

Have just returned from 12 days away in Thailand - I have some catching up to do!

Pleased to find that my 6 month old pond has a good splodge of frogspawn in it!!

Nowt new today. Siskin repeat nice though.

Liettuva 17 (I think Jos still keeps one or two birds hidden).

This here Jos from Lithuania is waiting for spring - I have been a bit lazy to update here, but I think I am on about 30 or so species now, White-fronted and Bean Geese going over in recent days, two pairs of Crane resident for a couple of weeks already, first White Stork some days back et al, plus common spring migrants arriving, Rooks and Jackdaws first, Starlings and Skylarks next, etc.

Annual floodgates should open any day now, a mass arrival of migrants always dramatic. However, I depart Lithuania tomorrow for ten days, so will calculate my list properly when I return.

Last edited:
Nothing new from here, but I made a list of listers. :smoke:

From previous years I can remember there has been American (USA), Australian and Spanish at least.

This is great, very interesting. I do remember there being someone in Australia last year...I had to google almost every bird! Fascinating.

Just noticed your 'eco ticks' too Warix, I keep a similar list, though yours is way higher than mine. Interesting to see what else is in the area that hasn't made it into the garden yet.

Another two flyovers here....spring is creeping in.
21. Turkey Vulture
22. Canada Goose.

Greetings from sunny SoCal (first American for this year?)! This is my first year participating, as last year I wasn’t really keeping a running tally, but I’ve been keeping mental notes this past year. So, here goes:

Feeder birds/the regulars:
1. CA scrub-jay
2. CA towhee
3. CA thrasher
4. CA quail
5. White-crowned sparrow (will be migrating in about a week’s time)
6. Song sparrow…or maybe it’s a Lincoln’s sparrow?
7. House sparrow
8. House finch
9. Eurasian-collared dove
10. Mourning dove
11. Northern mockingbird
12. Spotted towhee
13. White-breasted nuthatch
14. Bewick’s wren
15. American crow
16. Common raven
17. Nuttall’s woodpecker
18. Hooded oriole (migrated back this last two weeks)
19. Allen’s hummingbird
20. Anna’s hummingbird
21. Rufous hummingbird
22. Orange-crowned warbler
23. Yellow-rumped warbler
24. Black phoebe

Come back (except the hawks)!
25. Phainopepla
26. Bushtit
27. Acorn woodpecker
28. Northern flicker
29. Red-whiskered bulbul (took forever to identify since it’s nonnative to the U.S.—and stop waking me up in the mornings on the weekends!)
30. Cooper’s hawk
31. Sharp-shinned hawk (after a few run-ins with me, the hawks know not to come near when I’m around. I wish the cats and squirrels knew better too!!!)

The white-crowned sparrows have been a boon in attracting new regular feeding birds. They’ll be greatly missed when they take off very soon (and won’t be back till August), and activity will die down significantly. Last year I saw European starlings and a brown-headed cowbird during the summer, so we shall see, as I’m still hopeful.

Two additions this week:
17. Great Spotted Woodpecker a lifer on this yard, bird flew over.
18. Tree Sparrow much more expected, is common nearby.

Away for the Easter, hopefully spring finally has arrived in April when I return. Still just snow and ice and frost.

Had to get the scope up to be sure - hard to count but some 20+ way to the east, not so far from a coastal colony - probably been around for longer...

44. Alpine Swift

Greetings from sunny SoCal (first American for this year?)! This is my first year participating, as last year I wasn’t really keeping a running tally, but I’ve been keeping mental notes this past year.
25. Phainopepla

Welcome! Nice to see some familiar birds from my garden on your list....and some I had to look up too. Phainopepla is a cracker. And Acorn woodpecker is on my 'one day' list, I have a soft spot for woodpeckers.

Reckon they may have come in yesterday - 3 Swifts circling low in cloudy conditions early morning, like they had just come out of nearby breeding site, a sight for sore eyes ;)

45. Common Swift

April showers

Serin 2 avril.jpg

1st April 2018.jpgView attachment 657997
Heavy snow here this morning. Don't think a passing Swallow very likely today!

You never know H, I attach two duff photos to encourage you, one showing the scene yesterday morning, all that snow had gone by 5pm, whereupon our second Rock Bunting of the spring paused briefly, a nice male this time, followed by another Ring Ousel. The other photo is of one of today's two(edit: three) new species for the year.
Due to a misunderstanding(!) with Madame P, I found myself locked out of the house on returning from my 7am walk from the village this morning after she had dropped me off there on her way to work (taking the house keys with her:eek!: ). Luckily, Mum-in-law lives just 5km away so brought me her key later on, but it was thanks to my temporary misfortune being outside that I was able to hear, then see:
52 Citril Finch (two flying low overhead towards their breeding grounds higher up)
53 Serin (a male trying to hide amongst the Siskins, but betrayed by its call!)

so a Barnsley Swallow (not as tasty as a Barnsley chop) is still possible H - if you get a bit of sunshine of course!
Edit , while I've been faffing about trying to get the snow photo to stand up straight (and failing), a
54 Blackcap has started singing!!

Two beautiful pictures there Richard - great views you have.

I've only ever seen one Citril Finch - which happened to come to a stream to drink many moons ago. In the Alps obviously - not Barnsley!

32. Clay-colored sparrow (see picture). Took me forever to identify. Fortunately he keeps coming back with the white-crowned. This little one has strayed quite far!
33. European starling. It’s funny; so many don’t like the starlings feeding on their food, but I’d love to have them as regulars, but they have zero (zero!) interest in the plethora of food I set out. SMH. He/she just walked right past it looking for something else (bugs, probably).
34. Red-crowned parrot (heard very loudly overhead).

Welcome! Nice to see some familiar birds from my garden on your list....and some I had to look up too. Phainopepla is a cracker. And Acorn woodpecker is on my 'one day' list, I have a soft spot for woodpeckers.

The Phainopepla was certainly a nice surprise! I know it's a male/female pair, but I can never get a good look at the female. The acorn woodpecker, however, that one was an easy one! Both were life birds too!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.39.44 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.39.44 AM.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 26
This morning, suddenly a commotion with the local Yellow-legged Gulls and Azure-winged Magpies going absolutely bonkers alarm calling. 2 Ravens had appeared on the top of a Norfolk Is. Pine tree - certainly the pair that breeds some 2kms away (could they have been recently fledged offsprings?). Anyway, the Ravens should have known better to come into the village and perch - first time I've seen this pair do this. They were soon off, grumbling as they went and bombarded by the tiny Azure-wings.

46. Common Raven

Richard - nice one on the Citril Finches - I've only seen them once well, a fabulous finch ;)

No Citril Finches here (would be lifer) or even Ravens. After a sunny week, also here Monday was very snowy.
Before that I manage to see couple of early migrants:

#28. Herring Gull &
#29. Wood Pigeon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back