• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley Reserve, Sheppey UK Today (1 Viewer)

ant-33

Hi,
Today we went to Elmley Reserve on Sheppy, UK, and had a great day spotting many interesting birds. We've managed to identify pretty much everything we saw, but the one in the photo eludes me. Forgive me if it's something common or easy to identify, but I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know what it is.
Many thanks :h?:

Attachments

• IMG_4203_s.jpg
    IMG_4203_s.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 257
So, the stripes of colour seem (in the books) to be less vivid on the corn bunting, which suggests it could be that - though I'm not sure how well I could tell between a corn bunting and a female reed bunting. I'm pretty new to this, so my eye needs more practise!

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Song sparrow would be pretty unusual in Kent... how about female reed bunting or corn bunting?

Thanks for the correction. I admit it was audacious to suggest an I.D. for a bird without knowing the region at all... and living a fair distance away... ;-)

-Bill

Thanks for the correction. I admit it was audacious to suggest an I.D. for a bird without knowing the region at all... and living a fair distance away... ;-)

-Bill

According to my little booky they do visit here occasionally. Interestingly, though, I would probably have seen song sparrows when I lived in Southern California - I just didn't realise it at the time :t:

According to my little booky they do visit here occasionally. Interestingly, though, I would probably have seen song sparrows when I lived in Southern California - I just didn't realise it at the time :t:

...or perhaps you would have been thinking, why, they have Corn Buntings in California!

-B.

If you think you just heard someone jangling keys when you saw that bird, it wasn't keys, it was a corn bunting because that's what the song is supposted to sound similar to.

If you think you just heard someone jangling keys when you saw that bird, it wasn't keys, it was a corn bunting because that's what the song is supposted to sound similar to.

I was just listening to a recording of the song - not entirely sure about keys, but it definitely sounds jangly. Cool what you can find on the internet! |=)|

I watched an episode of birding with Bill Oddie years ago. He jangled his keys and a Corn Bunting sang back in reply. Amazing lol

goodness 18 responses for a corn bunting - theres a warbler marsh/reed from Poland on page 2 for ID confirmation with only one response if you lot care to up the game ;);)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back