• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Skua? (1 Viewer)

I agree that the second bird looks like a Pom but what makes the first one? Looks good for an Arctic to me.

Indeed Ola. Especially the flight shot, showing the long and very pointed central tail feathers, thin bill and restricted dark crown (not reaching down into malar area) leaves no doubt that the first bird is an Arctic Skua.

first bird is def. a pomarine, second looks like an arctic.

Ma first opinion was just reverse, but I didn't dare to tell, I found ID skuas on photo quite tough indeed.

Glad to see others think the same. Arctic & Pomarine.

I missed the flight shot. Agree with OlaB & smiths that the first bird is most probably an Arctic, but I'm not completely confident. Note that the bird is not quite adult (some blue-grey remains on tarsi) and very heavily worn. I would therefore not trust the shape of the central tail feathers much in this case. I find that bill and general flight-silhouette and fairly sparse flank-barring fits Arctic best though.

The second bird I'm pretty sure is a Pomarine skua. The bill is strong and the pattern of the underwing diagnostic (white-dark-white area in the primaries) . The first one is a little trickier: the pics of the bird in flight shows a slender silhouette and wings profile and the second pic of the first bird show a small head if compared to body and a not so strong bill. I think this is Arctic skua.

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back