• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm Mistle Thrush please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I see both Mistle and Song Thrushes often, and I'm sure which is which 99.9% of the time. But every so often I get one that gives me doubts, so I upload it for confirmation |=)|

Reasons for Mistle:

Arrowheads on breast become splodges - Pale fringes to greater coverts - Ear Coverts - grey colouring

Thanks

Attachments

• P1420435RGpf900nn.JPG
    P1420435RGpf900nn.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 112
  • P1420513RGpf900nn.JPG
    P1420513RGpf900nn.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 120
  • P1420545RGpf900nn.JPG
    P1420545RGpf900nn.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 120
Mistle Thrush for me too, just on the gestalt (though it's been years since I've seen one & FW my trans-Atlantic view's W).

Yes, Mistle Thrush - look at the smaller head relative to body size, more 'open faced' appearance, greyer brown above, more bold splodgy spotting below (less aligned and V-shaped than in Song Thrush) and pale edged wing coverts.

I have a history here. In the early days of courting, ever the romantic, I tried to explain these distinctions to Mrs C (as she became). After a week I was delighted that she'd started to get it right. Imagine my disappointment when I realised all she'd been doing was remembering what the last bird had been as I'd unconsciously been alternately pointing out Mistle Thrush/Song Thrush/Mistle Thrush/Song Thrush etc. Nearly 40 years on she still can't tell the difference ..... although she can now ID Lesser Kestrel by call!

Last edited:
Some nice Mistle shots Chris. I don't think I'd noticed before that the spots high on the chest were arrow-shaped!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back