• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finland&Varanger may/june 2018 (1 Viewer)

Halcon

barcelona birder
Hello,

A friend and I are looking for 2-3 people for a birdwatching trip to Finland and northern Norway during late may/early june 2018. The goal is to see as many taiga and arctic species as possible, focusing on the Varanger specialities (King&Steller´s eiders, white-billed diver, gyr, thick-billed murre...). Other targets include red-flanked bluetail, grouse, little&rustic buntings and much much more.
Planned route:
Start in Helsinki (ideally) around may 25th
2-3 days in the SE of the country (Virolahti, Parikkala) to see a bit of the arctic migration
3-4 days in Kuusamo to get most of the taiga species (bluetail and others)
A couple of days in northern Lapland (Rovaniemi to Utsjoki) getting the lapland species (breeding waders, pine grosbeak, etc)
5-6 days in Varanger
1-2 days from Varanger to Oulu area
1-2 around Oulu (Terek sandpiper and other waders and forest birds)
Return (ideally somewhere around june 12th)
Transportation: meeting in Helsinki and renting a car for the trip
Accomodation: we were planning on cottages, hostels and or camping, but we're open to suggestions. Since we're students our goal is to keep the budget as low as possible (we can't afford hotels).
Budget: depends a lot on accomodation and meals (cooking or not) but we think it's realistic to keep between 700 and 1000€ (600 to 900 pounds approximately).

This is only a very rough plan and subject to changes. The idea is to spend 15-20 days in the field and I appreciate suggestions and input if you're intrested in coming.
I'm a spanish exchange student in Finland who has been in the country for over six months during which I have been gathering information ;)

If you're interested please PM me and we can further discuss the trip.

I might be interested in joining you for the Varanger part of the trip. Although probably that doesn't work very well if you're looking to share the car rental for the whole trip.

If / When you come to SE (especially in Virolahti) I can join you and show you few good birding sites.
I wish I have a time to go up north too, but not this time I'm afraid.

Please PM if you are interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back