• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID - 4/20/18 Bolivar Peninsula, Texas, USA (1 Viewer)

janinmt

Is this a Red-tailed Hawk? The angle is confusing me!

Thanks,

Jan in MT

Attachments

• 2018 4 April 20 buteo sp Bolivar Pennisula, TX (23)b.JPG
    2018 4 April 20 buteo sp Bolivar Pennisula, TX (23)b.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 2018 4 April 20 buteo sp Bolivar Pennisula, TX (24)b.JPG
    2018 4 April 20 buteo sp Bolivar Pennisula, TX (24)b.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 57
Swainson's I think. Light morph. Wingtips are longer than tail.

Bob

Disagree because there is no tail so you don't know how long it would be.

My initlal thought was Red-tail and I have not seen anything to contradict - though I am willing to be educated.

Niels

Somehow the rather buffy face looks very Swainson's-like to me. I'd lean towards that over Red-tailed.

This was my initial thoughts, does red-tailed ever show that face pattern? It looks fine for Swainson's to me, I probably wouldn't have even considered red-tailed if it wasn't suggested, but maybe thats just because I'm not that great with perched raptors especially away from the EAstern US/

I still think it is a Swainson's . A perched Red-tailed Hawk would have a tail longer than its wing tips.

Last edited:
It has its tail, easily visible below right wing in image 2. Swainson’s is fine, weird angle makes it look more compact.
Andy

This particular bird doesn't show an apparent gape and the iris is a bit darkish. Therewith it appears cute but the head itself is still big compared to the body? as in Eurasian Common Buzzard and Red-tailed Hawk.

The head of Swainson's compares to its body (taken from a lateral view) as unusual small (large wing)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back