• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blues - Pembrey, Carmarthenshire (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

After a family holiday in Wales, I have returned with photos and I need help confirming identification:

1 & 2 - Due to the lack of a spot on the forewing, near the body. I see this as a Brown Argus?

3 - Male Common Blue?

4 & 5 - Female Common Blue?

Thanks

Gareth

Attachments

• 1583.jpg
    1583.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1584.jpg
    1584.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 29
  • 1585.jpg
    1585.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1586.jpg
    1586.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 1587.jpg
    1587.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 14
1 and 2 look more like Silver-studded to me. No forewing 'cell spot' and no hindwing 'colon' spots leave little else and the upperside hindwing shows just enough to suggest SSB

1 and 2 look more like Silver-studded to me. No forewing 'cell spot' and no hindwing 'colon' spots leave little else and the upperside hindwing shows just enough to suggest SSB

But they don't have the silver 'studs', the black, blue centred spots on the hindwing.

One of mine from Russia is attached albeit a male.

Attachments

• Silver-studded Blue.jpg
    Silver-studded Blue.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
But they don't have the silver 'studs', the black, blue centred spots on the hindwing.

One of mine from Russia is attached albeit a male.

They should do, yes, but I've just had a quick look at some shots I took several years ago of SSBs at Prees Heath and the studs are clear on one female, almost worn away on a male and not visible on another female (though a bit of vegetation covers one potential 'spot area').

Perhaps the studs wear off easily, but I've not seen enough in this country to be sure on that (any comments from anyone who lives in a regular area for them?).

They should do, yes, but I've just had a quick look at some shots I took several years ago of SSBs at Prees Heath and the studs are clear on one female, almost worn away on a male and not visible on another female (though a bit of vegetation covers one potential 'spot area').

Perhaps the studs wear off easily, but I've not seen enough in this country to be sure on that (any comments from anyone who lives in a regular area for them?).

Actually, looking again at photo 2, the ground colour of the hindwing isn't 'plain' enough for SSB, which wouldn't have that whitish area on it, so is it a Common Blue without cell-spot?

Why do you seem so surpised when you seemed fully prepared to accept Common Blues with the lower spot missing altogether?

Well, I'm not aware of either possibility, so that's why I phrased it as a question - I could just have easily have done it the other way round! As the 'colon' is a first port of call for BA and 'cell spot,' when visible, is the same for Common Blue (in UK) then I would have been equally surprised either way!

For what it is worth. I have been looking at Newland/Swash/Tomlinson/Still - the female common blue seems to have a blue tinge to the upper parts, I don't see any in picture one.

Gareth

For what it is worth. I have been looking at Newland/Swash/Tomlinson/Still - the female common blue seems to have a blue tinge to the upper parts, I don't see any in picture one.

Gareth

Common blue females are notoriously variable...most commonly brown with a bit of blue, but extremes at either end can occur.

1-2 is a female Common Blue, aberration icarinus. Frequent enough on the mainland to have fooled many top naturalists and was responsible for the relatively late detection and description of Chapman's Blue. I've seen quite a few in Portugal, it's well known and there's nothing strange about that.
See male #5 and female #19 here: http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Polyommatus_Icarus
Also, how to ID correctly a Common Blue: http://www.naturspaziergang.de/Fotohilfen/Tagfa/Polyommatus_icarus_M_28-04-07_Hilfe_US-1.jpg
And another female icarinus: http://www.naturspaziergang.de/Tagf...nidae/Polyommatus_icarus_f_icarinus_Hilfe.jpg
Some Common Blues will lack the cell spots only on one side.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back