• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites May Soar Again In North East Skies: Plans Unveiled to Bring Rare Birds Back (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

From the Birdguides web site 3/7:

Red Kites May Soar Again In North East Skies: Plans Unveiled to Bring Rare
Birds Back To The Region

One of the UK's rarest and most stunning birds could return to long-lost
haunts in the northeast of England next year, after plans to re-introduce
Red Kites to the region were announced today by English Nature and The RSPB
on behalf of a partnership that includes Gateshead Council, Northumbrian
Water, The National Trust and Forest Enterprise.

Once common throughout the country, the Red Kite is now one of the UK's
rarest birds of prey. The kite's distinctive profile of raked back wings and
forked tail was once a familiar sight in the skies over northern England.
However, human persecution took its toll on the kites and the birds became
extinct in the region more than 130 years ago.

Until recently the only Red Kites left in Britain were restricted to a small
area of central Wales. However, during the past fifteen years young Red
Kites have been translocated from healthy breeding populations and released
into the wild in suitable areas of England and Scotland. This work, overseen
jointly by English Nature, Scottish Natural Heritage and the RSPB, has seen
breeding populations successfully established in several areas of the UK
from the southeast of England to the north of Scotland.

New proposals have now been put forward by English Nature and the RSPB to
extend this work into northeast England. The proposal has already attracted
the support of a number of key organisations that share the vision of
establishing Red Kites in the North East. Northumbrian Water, Gateshead
Council, The National Trust and Forest Enterprise are all supporting the
project. Gateshead Council have pledged £50,000 per year to the project and
Northumbrian Water £15,000 for each of the first two years.

If additional support and funding can be found then the first group of up to
30 Red Kites could be soaring in northeast skies as early as next summer.

The proposals put forward by the North East Red Kite Project include:

Identification of a suitable site in the Derwent Valley close to the
Newcastle-Gateshead urban fringe to base the project and release the kites.
Recruitment of a project team who will oversee the return of the kites,
develop education opportunities, and work closely with local communities to
provide kite viewing facilities.
The arrival in June 2004 of the first Red Kite chicks and their release into
the wild later that summer.
An extensive public events and education programme linked to the kites.
The proposal is for the project to run for five years, with releases of
kites taking place each year. If all goes to plan, then the conservation
organisations hope that Red Kites will once again become a regular sight in
northeast skies and a self-sustaining breeding population will be
established in the region.

John Barrett of English Nature, said: "We are absolutely delighted to be
taking the first steps towards restoring this magnificent bird to its
rightful place in the northeast countryside. The support of such a diverse
range of partners is a fantastic boost to our plans and we look forward to
working with them and the people of the northeast to ensure the success of
this project".

Patrick Thompson of the RSPB added: "Red Kites are beautiful and majestic
birds and popular with the public. Evidence from other re-introduction areas
suggests that local communities, tourism and the regional economy have all
benefited from the return of the Red Kite."

Councillor Michael McNestry, Gateshead Council Cabinet member with
responsibility for the Local Environment, said: "We are very happy to
support this project, which builds on the considerable work we are already
doing to enhance wildlife in Gateshead.

"We have seen what Ospreys have done to boost the Lake District's economy
and I'm confident that this project can do something similar for Gateshead.
I hope that, in the near future, the sight of Red Kites soaring over the
River Derwent will become a familiar one to visitors and local people."

Dr Chris Spray, Northumbrian Water's Environment Director said: "Providing
opportunities for people to appreciate, watch and learn from wildlife is
important to our company and Northumbrian Water is consequently proud to be
a partner in the re-introduction of kites to the North East.

"Much wildlife is often to be found in the rural areas and the major
challenge is getting the environmental message into urban areas. We believe
that kites released close to Tyneside will carry that message in flight to
those who live in the towns and cities."

Graham Gill, Forest Enterprise, Forest Manager said: "We hope our woods in
the Derwent Valley will become nest sites for the Red Kites in future. In
Chopwell Wood, we already have a very active environmental education
programme run by our Ranger along with the local community group, the
Friends of Chopwell Wood, and we are excited about the possibility of adding
Red Kite as a wildlife viewing opportunity."

Evidence for the former presence of Red Kites in the region includes
historical records of local names - 'swallow-tailed falcon' - and 'Glead' or
'Glede' (from the Anglo-Saxon word for 'to glide'). Several northeast
placenames also hint at the past presence of the birds including Gleed Hill,
Gled Law and Gledscleugh.

The North East Red Kite Project is a partnership supported by English
Nature, The RSPB, Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council, Northumbrian
Water, The National Trust, and Forest Enterprise.

David Hirst, RSPB
Thursday 3 July 2003

For further information contact: Pat Thompson, RSPB North of England Office:
0191 2126119; John Barrett, English Nature, 01661 845500; David Hirst, RSPB
regional press officer: 0191 2126121/07885 834889.

The Red Kite re-introduction project was initiated in 1989 by the former
Nature Conservancy Council and the RSPB when young Red Kites were released
at sites in southern England and northern Scotland. From 1989 to 1994 a
total of 93 kites were released at each of the two sites, those released in
England coming from Spain and those in Scotland from Sweden. New release
schemes began in the English Midlands in 1995, in central Scotland in 1996,
West Yorkshire in 1999 and southwest Scotland in 2001.

Brilliant. Such a fine bird as this should definately grace our skies once more.It has been absent in most parts of the country for far to long.

Wonderful news. I saw my first Red Kites at Gigrin Farm, Rhayadar in Central Wales 5 years ago. I never even knew that they existed anywhere in the UK, while growing up in the NW of England in the 60's. The biggest news then was the pair of Golden Eagles which were discovered in Riggindale at the end of Haweswater in 1969 (or thereabouts).

Yes, that is great news Chris. It is one of our most beautiful birds and I would love to see it in this region again.

Last edited:
Yes sounds Most excellent news - I've never seen one, not common here in my part of Norfolk ( yet ??? ... I gather they're spreading East steadily ). But from photo's & stories they sound a fantastic sight.

£300,000 for the North East Red Kite Project

Northern red kites to return after 150 years

Plans to re-introduce red kites to north east England have received a huge boost with a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant of more than £300,000 for the North East Red Kite Project.

The North East Red Kite Project is a world first in proposing to re-introduce the rare and spectacular birds of prey into a semi-urban environment in Gateshead's Derwent Valley.

Kites were once widespread throughout the north of England, but have been absent from the region for around 150 years. Now they are coming back!

HLF's decision to award £303,500 to the Red Kite Project has been enthusiastically welcomed by the project, which is managed by English Nature and The RSPB working in partnership with Gateshead Council, Northumbrian Water, The National Trust and the Forestry Commission.

they will be a valuable new visitor attraction for the area, helping generate income for the local economyThe project already has the financial backing of Gateshead Council, which has pledged £250,000 over 5 years, and Northumbrian Water who are donating £15,000 for each of the first two years.

Green light
With the green light from HLF, red kites could be back in the skies over Gateshead as early as next summer. The search will soon be underway to recruit a locally-based team to run the project.

The project partners have also revealed a new name for the project, which will now be called Northern Kites. A new logo for the project will also be unveiled.

Within a few years, red kites should be a regular sight over the suburbs of the city, and they will be a valuable new visitor attraction for the area, helping generate income for the local economy.

The kites could eventually be spotted soaring over the MetroCentre and might even adopt The Angel of the North as a perch! Opportunities for local people and visitors to watch the kites at special viewpoints are planned, along with community and education events.

Release to the wild
In summer 2004, up to thirty young kites - from an established population in southern England - will be released into the wild from a secret site in Gateshead's Derwent Valley.

Further releases are planned for 2005 and 2006. Kites may start nesting in 2006 and it is hoped that the population will become self-sustaining within a few years.

Richard Bailey, Chair of the Heritage Lottery Fund's Committee for the North East which made the decision to award the grant, said: 'People don't necessarily associate wildlife with their heritage, but we consider it to be just as important to the region as our historic buildings, traditions and parks.'

Welcoming the news on behalf of Northern Kites, RSPB Regional Director Andy Bunten said: 'We are thrilled that the Heritage Lottery Fund has chosen to award such a significant sum to this exciting project. Red kites have been absent from the skies of northern England for far too long and we are all looking forward to helping bring them back home.'

Tony Laws, Area Manager for English Nature added: 'Without the lottery money it wouldn't have been possible to bring back this stunning bird of prey. We're confident that the red kites, with their five-foot wingspan, rust-red plumage and forked tail, will be a major benefit to Gateshead.

'The return of the ospreys to the Lake District has been a huge boost to the local economy there, and we're hoping that Northern Kites will achieve similar gains for the North East.'

The release site is probably less than an hours walk from my home and I can hardly wait. Shall be going down there with greater regularity after this I expect !

Have to say I'm not convinced of the need for another re-introduction of kites. The kite population is thriving now and seems fairly secure so surely they'll spread elsewhere on their own accord if the place is suitable. Surely all this money could be spent on a more urgent and necessary cause?

Brendan T said:
Have to say I'm not convinced of the need for another re-introduction of kites. The kite population is thriving now and seems fairly secure so surely they'll spread elsewhere on their own accord if the place is suitable. Surely all this money could be spent on a more urgent and necessary cause?

Kites like to nest in close proximity to other kites and so they tend to infill within a breeding area rather than move a great distance away.

Hi Chris,

Chris R Monk said:
Kites like to nest in close proximity to other kites and so they tend to infill within a breeding area rather than move a great distance away.
How long would you expect them to take to colonise 5-10 miles from the release point?

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Chris,

How long would you expect them to take to colonise 5-10 miles from the release point?

Michael

Hello Michael,

Approximately five years if previous release areas are a guide

Chris

Very good news indeed. Funnily enough I just spent the morning up at Thornley Woodland Centre. No birds of prey at all today - plenty of others though.

Chris R Monk said:
Hello Michael,

Approximately five years if previous release areas are a guide

Chris
So it'll be about 2010 before there's any in Northumberland - or are there any further plans to release any up here?

Michael

Chris R Monk said:

So it would take kites some time to spread if they were left alone but what's the rush? Still strikes me that this is all about the fact that kites may boost the local economy a little and it would be 'nice' for locals to see them around rather than this being an important conservation issue.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brendan, as much as I enjoy seeing Red Kites in the UK skies and welcome the original introduction programmes I do feel that this now is of little conservation benefit. Perhaps the money is better spent on reducing raptor persecution? Same goes for Ospreys.
You have to ask the question why are we spending money on a bird now thriving in the UK when our native population of Hen Harriers is still being decimated.
Yes, sure there is a spin off for local economies, but this could also come from careful promotion of existing wildlife in the area. I really don't think small scale tourist economics should start to dictate national conservation issues.

JP.

Fantastic news for Red Kites, Bird Lovers & for the people in this part of the world.

These (similar) Kite projects have been seen to invariably succede.
What better way to generate mass positive publicity for wildlife & conservation, than to use such a beautiful & highly visible species.

Anyone who could mention a negative comment about such a positive would 'probably' be the kinda grump who would 'twist on 21'.

Gateshead councils track record for birds/wildlife is top notch.

As for the location, the 'semi-urban' setting will be safer than nearby wilder dales areas for obvious reasons....

It will be interesting to see which way they spread out, but the choice of location is ideal for both Dham & North'd.

(i've already got Red Kite on my local lists, 2 seperate self-found non-wing tagged birds)

Happy Stevie :clap:

I would also agree with Brendan & JP. Red Kites are cracking birds & I thoroughly enjoy watching them but feel that this not inconsiderable sum of money could be better spent elsewhere on raptor conservation.
I recently visited the Central Scotland Feeding centre at Argaty (relevant post elsewhere). I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of watching these birds in the air but also learned a bit about the local Kites. I was surprised that the local feeding group included one bird from the Dumfries & Galloway population & three(or four) from the Highland/ Black Isle population. Additionally one of the Central Scotland youngsters has just turned up in the North of Portugal (alive) so these birds obviously do move around a bit and perhaps further local "natural colonisations" are just round the corner. The Central Scotland population has sufferred from several poisoning episodes as have birds in the Highlands ( & Sea Eagles!!) -I can't help feeling that money directed at this problem would be better spent especially as the most persecuted raptor in the UK is now much rarer in England than Red Kites.

Hmmm yes, a few high profile Hen Harrier release programmes, backed up by SAS units on a shoot-to-kill policy on anyone attempting to interfere . . . .

one of the Central Scotland youngsters has just turned up in the North of Portugal (alive) so these birds obviously do move around a bit
True, but they tend to return to the nesting area to breed - they don't stay on the wintering area.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back