• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid price Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Tamir

Hello all,

I need some help in choosing new binoculars. I know that Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are the Top end Bino's and everybody's favorite, but really, they are unbelievably expensive. After searching a little bit. I narrowed my search to 3 models:
Minolta 10x42 D-WP.
Pentax 10x42 DCF-WP.
Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB.

My wife has the Monarch and she is very satisfied with them. They are a good value for price. However there is sometimes this yellow fringing when looking at an object with contrast background that can be annoying.

The problem is I can't check myself the Pentax and The Minolta cause as far as I understand they don't import these models to Israel. Has someone have any experience with these models?

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for the $300-$500 range I will be glad to hear it.

Many thanks,

Tamir.

I know you are listing 10x models, but you might want to consider the Nikon 8x32 SE, or even the Nikon 10x40 SE, though I think the latter are out of your price range. The Nikon 8x32 SE are not waterproof, but they are sharper than the Leica 8x42 BN and Nikon 8x42 HG, and are almost as bright. I recently carried out a comparison between the Nikon 8x32 SE and a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL. At dusk I could not tell the difference between them in terms of resolution and brightness. (I still find this hard to believe. Maybe I have pupils that cannot dilate beyond 4mm?) What's more, the Nikon have almost no chromatic aberration, unlike roof prisms which always have noticeable CA, even in top end ones, and especially in cheaper ones. However they are not super trendy roof prisms which is what people seem to want these days.

Just my five pence worth ... hope you find something suitable.

I use Opticron waterproof roofprism 8 x 42 close-focus bins. I think they'd come in your price range. Optically they are excellent. My only slight quibble is that the depth of field is not as good as some--but I think that might be the price you pay for close-focussing (which is great for looking at insects).
Good luck.
Ken

I love my Swift Audubon 8.5x42. Around $300, they are waterproof, armor coated and have the widest field of view I've encountered.

I agree with Surreybirder, I have the same bins and am delighted with them. The close focus is great for watching dragonflies, butterflies as well as birding, check them out Tamir

Best regards

Steve J

As far as the first question goes,I have a pair of the Minolta 10x42D WP and consider them superb.
I tested them alongside all the major names and frankly,thought them every bit as good,at about half the price of the top names.
They are lightweight (740g),waterproof and have a good close focus of 2.5 metres.They are not an established name in binoculars,so don't command a premium price tag.
Once again though,everyone's opinion differs,so if possible,try them first.

I'll give another vote for Swift -- I have the Ultralite 8x42, and they are a wonderful value at around $200US.

You might check out

www.eagleoptics.com as an on-line source for many of the models mentioned here -- I think they will ship overseas. They also have sales -- I got my Swifts on sale a couple of years ago for about $175.

Also, for some 'comsumer report' type evaulations of binos, with an eye for bang for the buck, check out

www.betterviewdesired.com

I have no connection to either site listed, other than as a satisfied user of both.

I will say that Eagle Optics is a big supporter of birding and birders -- they have, in the past, donated nice binos to a fund-raising auction for the raptor rehab organization I'm involved with. They were EO's own brand, which I believe is made by Nikon.

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for all the responses, it's really great to get so many helping inputs.

It didn't even cross my mind to go for the 8x magnification, and I should definitely look into it. However I'm not sure whether the 8x32's will gain enough light. I should check it.

Beverly – I did check Eagle Optics before and didn't see that they ship product overseas. Maybe I'm wrong.

Best Regards,

Tamir.

I was wondering about Minoltas, as they have all kinds and all sizes available, but my local store only carries other brands. I like to carry very small ones on all trips, just in case, but the ones I have are not much good in poor light. They are cheap Chinese ones. The least expensive 8x Minoltas are listed for $55.

Tamir: Most 8x32 bins will not be that bright. The Nikon 8x32 SE are the exception. Don't ask me why 'cos I don't know.

About 4 years ago I tried the Pentax 8x42 DCF WP in the field. They are nice bins - flat field, good sharpness, good colour correction, nice build quality and feel - but I would guess going on memory and comparisons with other bins that they would not be as bright as the Nikon 8x32 SE.

Anyway, rather than believe my waffle, which might be mistaken, do make sure that you compare them either in the field or in a shop with viewing facilities using your own eyes. That's all that counts at the end of the day.

I have recently invested in new bins and felt just like Tamir. Love the Swaros, hate the price! I finally decided, after trying many pairs over a number of months, to go for the Avian 10x42s from Ace Optics of Bath. They are truly great for the price. They also do this good little deal that if you don't like them you can send them back for a refund within two weeks of purchase. Needless to say, I kept them. They were about £300 ie one-third the price of the ELs. For the difference you could buy yourself a new CP4500, spare 256Mb card and a couple of spare batteries..... now there's an idea!

Recently bought the Bushnell 10x42 and they are waterproof, and I am very happy with them. The added bonus, they didn't break the bank.

I agree with Leif. I have used Nikon SE 8x32 heavily for more than three years and am still amazed every time I put them up to my eyes. I too have tried them against Swarovski 8.5x42 and concluded they were as bright and as sharp; they are also as bright or nearly as bright as every 8x42 on the market. They are truly amazing optically. As he points out, they are not waterproof and they also have old-fashioned rubber eyecups.

Another thing I have recommended to many people is to buy a high-end 8x20, such as Leica, Swarovski, or Nikon. I have owned the Leica 8x20 for several years and use it constantly. It is also a superb little glass, though it has its shortcomings. The good thing about it is that when you are ready to move up to larger glasses, you will still find plenty of uses for the 8x20--carrying in your briefcase, or in your car, or in a pocket when your purpose is not birding.

I just bought a pair of Pentax DCF SP 8 x 43 and they're totally fantastic! Pentax bins are really rated in the US and yet they hardly get mentioned here in the UK. This is a great shame because they really are superb. - Also I got them for more than £150.00 off the list price (£290.00 from Amazon UK). Better than any other £300 binocular I've come across.

Hi Moomaloo,

After many deliberations I also bought the Pentax DCF SP but rather the 10x43 and I'm very pleased with them.
Comparing them to the Nikon Monarch 10x42 I didn't find any significant difference.
However both Bino's experience this yellow fringing sometimes, but maybe it's just my bad eyesight.

- Tamir.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back