• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Breasted bird-Texas USA (1 Viewer)

rdoudna

My 10 year old daughter and I recently became interested in birding and she's gotten pretty good at IDs. We saw this one in Jan. at a local park and we thought we'd find it right away in our field guide but no luck. I'm sure it's something easy and common, can you help?

Attachments

• reddish bird.jpg
    reddish bird.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 255
Yes, this bird is an American Robin, but I can see the confusion if you consider the fieldguide paintings as gospel.

The white around the eye and the splotchy red breast could be quite confusing if you are a new birder and relied completely on the field-guide descriptions.

A quick hint that may come is handy for you: Next time you have a bird to ID that looks almost like a bird in your field guide but not quite, take note of the name and continue searching. You may end up with several. Then check out the BirdForum.net gallery database or Opus for actual photographs. If nothing else, it will help you appreciate the variety within a given species and will probably nail down the ID for you.

And Welcome to Bird Forum!

Thanks Terry, that was exatly the problem, I've seen thousands of robins (and it happens to be my name) so Told my daughter it was a robin, then we compared the pic to the field guide and didn't see the splotchyness on the breast, so I thought I'd double check it here. I'm going to put up a few more pix that we weren't sure about, hopefully you'll chime in again.

Yes, this bird is an American Robin, but I can see the confusion if you consider the fieldguide paintings as gospel.

The white around the eye and the splotchy red breast could be quite confusing if you are a new birder and relied completely on the field-guide descriptions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back