• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (2 Viewers)

The Marsh Harrier wasn't seen to fly out of the reedbed - so that means an early start and hope it performs before I have to leave for work at 07:40. Could be a wet one tomorrow.

A Grasshopper Warbler sang right in front of the screen - not sure if this is a second bird or the same one moving around.

100+ Sand Martins roosted plus a few Swallows.

Tawny Owl hooting from the churchyard and a Water Rail was singing from the reedbed as I left.

The Marsh Harrier left its roost at 06:29, circled and then headed west past Salwarpe. Seven of us saw it.

3 Grasshopper Warblers singing on and off.

Steve Whitehouse texted just after I left - he had a pair of Goosander fly over Salwarpe Churchyard heading north. This is the third record so far of Goosander for this year.

Marsh Harrier flew out early this morning and headed south-west again down Salwarpe valley at 05:46.

2 Grasshopper Warblers singing.

c100 Sand Martins left their roost at 05:25.

Tawny Owl very vocal.

Last edited:
No sign of the Marsh Harrier from 19:10 until dusk.

3 Swifts over towards Westwood.

2 Grasshopper Warblers singing briefly.

c50 Sand Martins roosted with a couple of Swallows.

Water Rail singing.

Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe.

Cuckoos heard at Salwarpe, Ladywood and Tapenhall this morning.

A Willow Warbler at Tapenhall plus Gadwall and Coot on the pool.

A couple of Grey Wagtails over Coney plus Whitethroats, lots of Reed and Sedge.

Cuckoo at Ladywood this morning.

Two Grasshopper Warblers Coney Meadow. 2 Gadwall over. 2 Swifts over. Mixed group of Sand Martins and Swallows.

A Tawny Owl flew in front of me by Chawson Lane allotments as I walked home.

Other birds news from today:

Cuckoo at Porter's Mill
2 Grasshopper Warblers still at Coney
Willow Warblers at Mildenham and 2 at Linacre Bridge.
2 Lesser Whitethroats at Hawford
Lots of Swallows around Hawford farm plus one House Martin.
Sedge, Reed, Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs widespread.
3 Gadwall over Hawford and 2 Greylags. Coot on Tapenhall pool.

Yellow Wagtail over between Ladywood and Salwarpe.
Mandarin drake on Tapenhall pool earlier flew towards Mildenham.
Drake Tufted on canal at Hawford.

At least a dozen Swifts over towards Westwood earlier plus one over near Chatley.
Good sized mixed hirundine flock near Hawford - 6 House Martins, 4 Sand Martins and 20+ Swallows.
Cuckoos seen / heard at Tapenhall, Porter's Mill and Ladywood.
Water Rails singing from Coney - 2+ yesterday evening.

Marsh harrier came along the reedbed from Porters mill direction about 15ft from the screen headed towards ww then turned back towards Porters mill and disappeared out of view. 7.15 aprox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back