• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

smallest bird in britain (1 Viewer)

wullie

Does anyone know what the smallest bird in britian is i thought it was the Goldcrest .

but someone i know thought it was the fire crest can any one clear this up for me

thanksB :)

Hi Wullie,
I reckon you and your friend are about right. There in nothing between them in size. They are of the same genus, (Regulus). Firecrests are a little bit more rare that Goldcrests but in size, it must be a dead heat.

Colin

The Firecrest is officially the smallest bird in Europe. Both are so active and tiny that you certainly wouldn't notice any difference in size with the naked-eye.
Andy B

The answer I have been told is that the goldcrest, firecrest and wren are all the same size, but the wren weighs twice as much as the other two.

Most non-birders say that the wren is the smallest UK bird.

I'm told that the goldcrest and firecrest are the same size and weight.

If this is so, how come I have never been able to find a firecrest!!!

I know it's not a definitive answer, but it's an excuse for me to send a mssage!!!

I am not familiar with *crests but do you not have any hummingbirds over there? They are the smallest here in NA because they can be only about 3" in size.

We don't have any hummers over here, except captive in collections. We do have the Hummingbird Hawk Moth, which is occasionally reported as a bird.

Tony

.... and the goldcrests are busy little bees foraging tirelessly up and down our fir trees in the garden. Sadly, due to deafness (hi tones all gone in the army) I can't hear them. But my wife alerts me - "Die Goldhaenchen sind wieder da.." (German - Gold Chicks) or "Tady Kralicky - na hora" (Czech - little bunnies!)

Both Fire and Goldcrest are given in most books as being 3.5 inches (9cm). The Firecrest is the rarer of the two in the UK. Goldcrests can even be seen in gardens in Birmingham! We usually see them on our local walks here in Walsall and even had a pair that visited the garden a couple of months ago!

We have the Hawk Moth here too. Probably not the same one but we have one - or more for all that I know. I had discovered it when I had thought that I had seen my first hummingbird. I saw it after that and was able to find out that it was the moth and not the hummingbird. I had to wait to see the bird.

Tony and Kevin
We get hummers way up here in N. Canada too. I also get the hummingbird moth (Hemaris thysbe) on my flowers. It is a moth that feeds during the day. They are very pretty and I love it when they show up. One can mistake them for hummers as they move so fast. I have seen bird books refer to the 'Sphinx moth' which I think is the same or the same family.
Eve

i saw my first goldcrest yesterday... so tame we stood and watched whilst it foraged for insects!! about 2 to 3 foot away. seems to me it is the smallest bird in the uk. but i must say... a tad plump. tiny legs on a squat body. firecrests which i have seen often ...are thinner looking.

Welcome to the forum Sunrise from another Devonian. You're lucky seeing more firecrests than Goldcrests! Where did you see so your Firecrests? Hope to hear from you often around the forum, check 'Hot off the Devonian Presses' plug plug!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back