• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (5 Viewers)

15 Wigeon Ice House. Drake Goldeneye Swan Pool. 32 Goosander Forge Mill dawn. 2 Little Egret Forge Mill 25th per Mel.
Good Birding YAMYAM

thanks again - directions were spot on - bird arrived at 12:45 although too far into the bush to get any photos, and then a ring necked parakeet on the feeders at Sandwell got us to 220 for the year...
Cheers
Ivan

Good Birding YAMYAM

thanks again - directions were spot on - bird arrived at 12:45 although too far into the bush to get any photos, and then a ring necked parakeet on the feeders at Sandwell got us to 220 for the year...
Cheers
Ivan

Good Birding YAMYAM

Ivan
Glad you caught up with the Firecrest, and reached 220. I`ve been stuck on 190 for the last couple of months, weather doesn`t help much.
Even dipped on a Dipper!!!!:smoke:

Richard

This year seems to have been a great year in the Valley as far as more birders (and returning birders) getting out and finding those scarce birds goes.Things like the long standing firecrest(s) and white-fronted geese near the beginning of the year stand out.

I therefore suggest we have a little friendly competition in 2018 to see who can notch up the most species in the Valley. Following a similar idea to the patch birding competition that happens, I think we should perhaps have two separate scores - one recording the number of species seen and one points based score based on how many species you have found yourself. The hope is that this might encourage more people to get out and find birds across the entire Valley.

I suggest that we work on a simpler model of any self-found bird scoring 2 points (be it a great tit or a woodchat shrike) and seeing a bird that someone else has found scoring a single point.

Opinions or thoughts?

Mike

Interesting one that Mike would the tally's be kept individually or on a table like the League table I keep for Valley life lists? I think any self found scarce birds would need to be seen by more than one person if not confirmed by second party only one point scored
Cheers Dave

Interesting one that Mike would the tally's be kept individually or on a table like the League table I keep for Valley life lists? I think any self found scarce birds would need to be seen by more than one person if not confirmed by second party only one point scored
Cheers Dave

Certainly the inherent problem with competition is that it can lead to mistrust and occasionally deceit. I would have thought / hoped that could be avoided in a little patch competition like this. However, I agree that unusual birds should need a level of scrutiny. This of course begs the question of what counts as unusual and who decides?

How about this for a revision...

If you find an unusual bird (list of unusual birds to be decided), you can have:
- 1 point if nobody else sees it or there is no photo
- 3 points if you can help others on to the bird by reporting it (being a teacher I am clearly well into positive reinforcement. 8-P )

This might encourage information to be spread more quickly and aid others in their year list efforts.

I can knock up a list of scarce valley birds no problem. I have thirty birders who contact me soon has a good valley bird is found ie:- group text so news already gets out ASAP but it would be great to get more Birders involved in this so even less is missed in the Valley :t:
Dave

I can knock up a list of scarce valley birds no problem. I have thirty birders who contact me soon has a good valley bird is found ie:- group text so news already gets out ASAP but it would be great to get more Birders involved in this so even less is missed in the Valley :t:
Dave

Do you have WhatsApp, Dave? Would save you a lot of effort/text messages if you created a WhatsApp group and people could just message straight into it.

The years in Photos

Attachments

• thumbnail_WFG-1 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_WFG-1 (1).jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20171020_153613 (1).jpg
    IMG_20171020_153613 (1).jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170312_173728.jpg
    IMG_20170312_173728.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170929_130751.jpg