• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
I've got a couple of days in Suffolk next month (Around July the 20th), and I was wondering the best way to divide my time.

I am obviously aware Minsmere is the place to go, but on that note is it likely there will still be any Stone Curlews or Little Terns around - These are the two species I wasn't sure about. I know there will be Bitterns, Bearded Tits, etc but seeing them is another matter!

I am also aware of Dunwich and Westleton Heaths nearby, where I would hope to see Nightjars of an evening (Dartford Warbler, Stonechat, etc still very nice though!).

Other than that, I know the Blyth Estuary and Tinker's Marsh are a little way further North and very, very good - This is the area I covered on my only other birding visit to Suffolk and I saw over a dozen species of wader in the one visit, plus Med Gulls, Barancle Geese, etc.

Are there any other sites around the Dunwich area, or does anyone have any tips on the sites mentioned above? How long to spend at each place and what species to see is my big question...

Thanks in advance.

Hello there. Stone Curlew should be fine at Minsmere- reserve staff will tell you where it is OK to watch from. Not sure about Little Terns currently- there's some in and out at Minsmere. Kessingland colony is bit further up the coast, but is wardened etc. and may be best.

Hello there. Stone Curlew should be fine at Minsmere- reserve staff will tell you where it is OK to watch from. Not sure about Little Terns currently- there's some in and out at Minsmere. Kessingland colony is bit further up the coast, but is wardened etc. and may be best.

Sorry for the late reply (Better late than never I guess8-P), but thanks for the heads up - I'll just have to hope for the Little Terns, but very excited to see Stone Curlews.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back