• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

Thanks for your reply Patrick, I am pleased you have confirmed my suspicions of their prescence, unfortunately this is my last day here but would appreciate more info from you or mike for my next visit. I also seen nunerous thekla larks, stonechats, spotted flycatchers and had hoopoe, cettis watbler and auduolins gull every day, also over resort had elenoras falcoln, lesser kestrel and booted eagle

Thanks Patrick and grahmec.
If you follow Patrick’s suggestion and go in the north entrance, I’m sure you will see Balearic Warbler. As you rightly say, the low scrub is ideal.
It all depends on the time of year, the scrub warblers can be right little skulkers at times and all I see is their rear end disappearing into the bush. Other times, they sit atop the scrub, cock their tail, and sing away with great gusto.
Early spring is obviously good but they can be very showy at other times too. Let me know when you are coming next time and I can give you updates.
Good to know the Lesser Kestrel is still around. No photos I suppose?
All the best, Mike

I well remember the joys of having a local patch in the UK and life is no different here in Mallorca.
My original patch was my local parc, Mondragó but it becomes impossibly busy in summer and I can’t get near the place, even early mornings which saddens me as I saw some wonderful birds including one of my favourites, the European Nightjar.
So, I have been covering some open fields near Es Llombards, not far away.
All I can say is that I am blown away by the results I have had so far. In every season there is something new or different, Thrushes in the winter, larks and pipits galore and there is a large flooded pool in winter which holds an amazing array of species.
But it’s the raptors that really shine, I can’t believe the amount and variety sometimes. Today was great with three Black Kite, lots of Red Kite, Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier and double figures of Kestrel.
I am not there nearly enough but I aim to address this by going more often and for longer. I just know that it will turn up something special one day, it has that feel about the place.
Mike

surprised about the lack of water in Cibollar 1, do they not control the level ?, sure they can at Sa Roca.
will be arriving on saturday for a month so hope for some good birds and company.
Steve.

surprised about the lack of water in Cibollar 1, do they not control the level ?, sure they can at Sa Roca.
will be arriving on saturday for a month so hope for some good birds and company.
Steve.

You are correct, they do not control the water level at Cibollar but they do at Sa Roca. Something to do with where the water comes from, the sea on one side and river/rain overflow on the other. I don’t have the hydrographic details to fully explain it.
I am sure you will see plenty of interesting species coming through within the next month, and water levels should improve quickly through September.

You are correct, they do not control the water level at Cibollar but they do at Sa Roca. Something to do with where the water comes from, the sea on one side and river/rain overflow on the other. I don’t have the hydrographic details to fully explain it.
I am sure you will see plenty of interesting species coming through within the next month, and water levels should improve quickly through September.

If anyone's interested in the hydrology, there's a short description here: http://www.mallorcaweb.net/salbufera/introang.html#geology
Martin

Thanks Martin. That has filled in a few blanks for me and answers a lot of questions.
Interesting too that the water levels were 2-3 meters higher in Roman times than now.
I guess that getting the balance of salt water and fresh water right must be quite a task as much plantlife depends on the right ratios. Mike

I chose the wrong day to spend several hours at the Cap this morning, the whole area was covered in hazy cloud and there was hardly any movement.
Some Barn Swallows left very early and flew low over the water towards Africa.
Four or five Woodchat shrikes were near the Cap, Turtle doves lined the road and about twenty Common Swifts passed overhead.
After four hours the cloud lifted and we were immediately rewarded with a Marsh Harrier leaving the island.
Two Northern wheatears were nearby but that was about it, quite disappointing as I was expecting more having seen a few Black kites last night.
Maybe the locals will have a good weekend. I cant make it so they probably will.
Mike

I think it's perhaps one of the biggest problems for the reserve. With so many demands for fresh water - from tourism, agriculture and an increasing amount of building - on what is a pretty finite resource, maintaining a healthy freshwater marsh must be extremely difficult. With less throughput of fresh water (which is often polluted with run-off from the agricultural areas inland from the reserve, salt water is making huge inroads and changing the habitat in many areas. It's even had an effect on some of the species of moths that were once common but are now hardly ever seen.
Martin

I managed to pop down to the Cap this morning during which time a group of six Black Kite went through.
As Patrick was there, I hope he can give totals for the day later on. Mike

Thanks Martin for the link, I had read this before but I still need to get my head around what flows where. A study for a cold winter day perhaps.

Great to catch up Mike, sorry you could not stay longer, you missed the action ;)

The 6 black kites came back in for a while, grew their number to 8, went back out followed by a white stork and returned again just minutes later still followed by the stork. Eventually, they all left together. Photo IDs prevented double or triple counting.
We had a group of about 35 bee-eaters, some common and pallid swifts in single digit numbers.
And two local Bonelli’s eagles that were looking for a quiet spot to digest their big lunch. I wouldn’t have picked it up but the locals have a keen eye and spotted their heavily swollen crop.
Other than that, the rest was made up of several red kites and kestrels, booted eagle, peregrine, eleonora’s falcon, 2 black vulturse, 2 or 3 woodchat shrikes...

I’ve been birding Punta de N’Amer early morning a few days this week and with there being so many Sardinian Warblers present, I was suprised to not see any Balearic Warblers, as I would imagine all the low scrub would be ideal for them. Has anyone else had them here? Or do they just not occur in this area?

Hi Graham, I had 2 sightings of Balearic on Punta De n'Amer on seperate days, both were near to the Cala Millor end , in fact pretty much as soon as you start coming from the car park area. Both were keeping low flitting about and frustratingly both avoided the camera.

Ian

A dozen Audouins gulls on rocks north of Sa Coma beach this am including 1 ringed bird BLPS

BLPS was the other Ringed bird I saw at the start of August, I am still awaiting it's details, Pic attached

Ian

Attachments

• 33502BLPS.JPG
    33502BLPS.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Patrick.
Yes, it was good to see you again.
Lalo made a joke that “if you want to see birds, wait until Mike goes”.
Sadly, it was true with those Black kites and White Stork.
The first Honey buzzards were seen today too, by Pep et al.
Many more to come I hope.
For me and many others, Honey buzzards are the prize and highlight of the year. They look glorious as they pass overhead on their way off the Island. Mike

Thanks for the info regarding water levels at Salbufera, all good reading.
Yesterday there, Glossy Ibis 15, Spotted Redshank 53, Greenshank 45, Little Stints 2, Curlew Sands 2, good numbers of Wood, Green, Common Sands, Purple Heron, Garganey, Woodchat, Hoopoe 2, Ringed Plover. Ruff, Snipe.
Steve.

Hello again everyone,
I'm very sorry for the rather lengthy delay, but it has been rather hectic for me recently back in Britain. Anyhow, here is my trip report for the end of July based in Puerto Pollensa.

Attachments

• Mallorca trip report.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
A nice report - and good to see mention of some other groups,especially at a time of your that I've not been to the island.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back