• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Looks like a fine adult male Pallid Harrier was seen and photographed on the road down to the Cap de Ses Salines this morning. More details to follow.
Mike.

Hello,
here you have the photo of the Pallid Harrier by Nigel Smallbones.
Was sitting on that branches preening and having a look to the fields, so, from the car we could enjoy it. After five or six minuts it flew away. It was in a field on the right hand side, before arriving to the "Passage 1".
It was great!!
Regards. Cristina.

Attachments

• DSC03750_1.jpg
    DSC03750_1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 108
Certainly a beautiful bird Cristina, thanks. I have looked for it every day but it must have gone.

I arrived at the Cap a bit later than planned and Kevin and Steve already had the Rock sparrows staked out at passage 5. Lovely birds and quite rare too. They saw a large flock of more than 20 birds.
A dribble of Honey buzzards came through, about one per hour so not like yesterday.
One Bee-eater and two Bonelli’s eagles were good to watch.
Thanks guys for your company, it was great fun. Mike

Coffee-talks at the Bird Centre La Gola

Hello!
Next Saturday 22th we start again the coffee-talks at la Gola. B :)
Barn Owl, Balearic Warbler, Red Kite and one to be confirmed, are the birds we will talk about this autumn.
Look forward seeing you there :t:

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• Xerrades la Gola TARDOR2018_ANG.jpg
    Xerrades la Gola TARDOR2018_ANG.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
Lagotel hotel

Good evening all. Arrived at the hotel Lagotel over looking the albufera marsh again, top floor.
Bird list so far
Dark eleonora's falcon, osprey, purple heron, marble teal, swifts, audouins gull, glossy Ibis, stone Curlew, usual waders and ducks. Few thousands swallows with some sandmartins.
��

Last edited:
Very enjoyable hours with Mike and Kevin, you pair should be on stage, Adults only I might add,
Cheers, welcome back Craig.
Steve.

One of these days I will catch up with you all. 😉

QUOTE=s.g.;3764701]Very enjoyable hours with Mike and Kevin, you pair should be on stage, Adults only I might add,
Cheers, welcome back Craig.
Steve.[/QUOTE]

2 Spoonbill and a kingfisher to add to the list. 9 marble teal today.

QUOTE=eagle33;3764687]Good evening all. Arrived at the hotel Lagotel over looking the albufera marsh again, top floor.
Bird list so far
Dark eleonora's falcon, osprey, purple heron, marble teal, swifts, audouins gull, glossy Ibis, stone Curlew, usual waders and ducks. Few thousands swallows with some sandmartins.
��[/QUOTE]

Excellent Martin, thanks.
Good meeting Graham at passage 5 this morning, I’m very glad some visitors have made it to the south. No sign of any Rock sparrows but possibly some heard. I still say early mornings are best despite people reporting sightings later in the day.
I saw a Common Buzzard near the entrance to the coast road, a nice adult bird and pretty scarce in Mallorca.
A few small groups of Bee-eaters were heard but not many were seen.
A short visit today, hopefully I will be able to get there a few more times but my wife returns tonight so maybe not. Mike

Hello, finally going through my pics from my Mallorca trip this summer. I got stuck on this strange looking heron from S'Albufera. Huge yellow bill, looks mostly like Squacco to me, but still not?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• strangeheron2.jpg
    strangeheron2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 88
Tour to sa Dragonera island - Thursday 20th Sep

Hello,
This Thursday the 20th we organize a tour to sa Dragonera island Natural Park and we still have some places left. I thought that maybe some of you might be interested to join. Dragonera hosts the largest colony of Eleonora's falcon in the Balearic islands. Other remarkable species are Balearic warbler, Scopoli's and Balearic shearwater. This time of the year Sa Dragonera is a major stopover for many migrant birds in the journey to their wintering grounds and it is also home to the endemic Lilford's wall lizard, one of the most interesting non-bird species of the islands. If you are interested in enjoying sa Dragonera contact us on [email protected].
Regards

A few pics in the next few posta from Punta De n'Amer, Aug 6th to 18th this year.

Attachments

• 33370ThLa.JPG
    33370ThLa.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 33388Hoop.JPG
    33388Hoop.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 33394Hoop.JPG
    33394Hoop.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 33409Fire.JPG
    33409Fire.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 27
  • 33434MeFl.JPG
    33434MeFl.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 18
Punta De n'Amer.

Attachments

• 33436SaWa.JPG
    33436SaWa.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 33449SaWa.JPG
    33449SaWa.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 33512ScSh.JPG
    33512ScSh.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 33572StCu.JPG
    33572StCu.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 33587StCu.JPG
    33587StCu.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 18
Punta De n'Amer 3.

Attachments

• 33810aStCu.JPG
    33810aStCu.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 33907Nigh.JPG
    33907Nigh.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 33911ZiCi.JPG
    33911ZiCi.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 33912Wryn.JPG
    33912Wryn.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 33807Shag.JPG
    33807Shag.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 11
A few non-avian highlights, Punta De n'Amer.

Attachments

• 33402LoAg.JPG
    33402LoAg.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 33399Cica.JPG
    33399Cica.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 33421Wall.JPG
    33421Wall.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 33570HeTo.JPG
    33570HeTo.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 33635Wasp.JPG
    33635Wasp.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 14
Last ones , a few more non-avian highlights, Punta De n'Amer.

Attachments

• 33852ScDa.JPG
    33852ScDa.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 33855Locu.JPG
    33855Locu.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 33873RVDa.JPG
    33873RVDa.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 33510Gras.JPG
    33510Gras.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 15
Hello,
This Thursday the 20th we organize a tour to sa Dragonera island Natural Park and we still have some places left. I thought that maybe some of you might be interested to join. Dragonera hosts the largest colony of Eleonora's falcon in the Balearic islands. Other remarkable species are Balearic warbler, Scopoli's and Balearic shearwater. This time of the year Sa Dragonera is a major stopover for many migrant birds in the journey to their wintering grounds and it is also home to the endemic Lilford's wall lizard, one of the most interesting non-bird species of the islands. If you are interested in enjoying sa Dragonera contact us on [email protected].
Regards

Hi Pere
I wish I could be there. It's a great place - and not just for birds.
Martin

A few non-avian highlights, Punta De n'Amer.

#1 the spider, is Argiope lobata - quite a spectacular beast.
#3 is a male Wall Brown butterfly
#5 one of the paper wasps, probably a Polistes sp. (there are two on the island)
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks pp53, always good to know what is being seen and not just the birds. Now is the time for these spectacular spiders, I’ve seen quite a few.
I was having a very nice time at the Cap this morning until a huge storm came and spoilt the party. Three Honey buzzards and a couple of Bonelli’s eagles provided good watching up to that point.
Graham was there before me and he enjoyed watching good numbers of Rock sparrows including some juvenile birds.
Graham believes that as soon as the traffic becomes heavier, the birds begin moving back from the road. This seems to fit perfectly because the only time I have seen them well has been early morning. They do show later but only in ones and twos whereas earlier, over twenty birds can be seen feeding together. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back