• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does my digital recorder stop recording? (1 Viewer)

gandytron

I have an Olympus LS-10S that I have tried to use for recording nocturnal migration in the last few days.

However each morning when I check the recording, the recorder has switched off just 40 minutes into the night time recording. I can't figure out why.

I have checked the manual and turned off "AutoPowerOff" and the card I have been using is 4 GB card on which the sound recording I have made is only 427 Mbs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave

A bit strange, however, one possibility is that you are getting a card write error for some reason. I would change to a different SD card reformat it and see what happens with that. I assume you have tried reformatting your existing card.

Another thought is that since it happens at the 40 minute point that you simply run it during the day and see if you get an error message just before it shuts down.

The recorder should record in a continuous series of 2 GB files - 427 MB sounds very strange.

Only got an LS-11, but have dusted it off - put in a 4GB card - formatted it and running it to see if anything strange happens - I have never used an SD card in it before since its internal 8GB has always been enough. These things are pretty reliable and I havn't ever seen a similar problem, hence my concern with the SD card you are using.

Does it do the same thing with its internal memory?

Checking my results I filled the folder A with two files - the first 1 hr 2m 8s long of 1.99 GB, the second 55m 27s long using up the remaining space. I was recording 96kHz 24bit Wav.
The first 45 minutes were recorded at normal volume and the remainder dropped down to zero in case zero input was having an effect.
The two files were automaticall generated and contiguous as per spec.

So I stick with my original thoughts, does it happen with the internal memory selected? does it happen if you have reformatted the card in the recorder and selected it, does it happen with a different SD card formatted in the recorder and selected?

If it happens in all of the 3 cases then it sounds like the recorder, if it just happens in both of the cards then the recorder may have a problem with its card interface (dirt?)

And finally when it stops early was there an error message? I'm assuming that when you formatted the card you checked that the recorder could see all 4GB? (Menu Item: Memory Info in the Memory Menu)

Comparing the LS-10S manual with the LS-11 I own, they are identical as far as normal usage goes.

Last edited:
What firmware version are you using? There is a possibility this may have a bearing though it seems unlikely.

Thanks very much for these thoughts.

I am wondering if it is a battery issue - the battery indicator suggested that I was on a half charge both nights, so I’m wondering if it drained to a point where it shut off, but once left idle for another 24 hours had enough charge for another 40 minutes. I tried recording with it this morning (with battery indicator down to one bar) and it shut off after 20 minutes with a “low battery” warning.

With new batteries installed it has now been running for more than one hour and I’ll keep checking it through the day to see if it keeps on recording.

Best wishes

Dave

You could well be right - Olympus recorders of this generation have a reputation for running on a single set of batteries for ever, or at least longer than many modern designs. I tend to replace batteries once I see a drop in power on most of my electronic gizmos as some can be a bit unpredictable in reporting low batteries, so I havn't seen what happens on my LS-11.

Somehow being caught out up a tall ladder, in a blizzard, up a tree, photographing a graveyard by moonlight, when my camera battery died a death, sort of made me sensitive about such things. It didn't help that the local pub started chucking out at that time either....

Anyway fingers crossed that solves your problem.

IvelJay,

Yes, this seems to have been resolved simply by installing a fresh set of batteries - ran the recorder of 8 hours yesterday with no problems.

It seems that your approach to battery life indicators seems sensible in this instance. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way like you!

Best wishes and thanks again.

Dave

IvelJay,

Yes, this seems to have been resolved simply by installing a fresh set of batteries - ran the recorder of 8 hours yesterday with no problems.

It seems that your approach to battery life indicators seems sensible in this instance. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way like you!

Best wishes and thanks again.

Dave

It’s a common problem related to battery life alright. I had same issue just yesterday when I recorded for less than an hour and so too has a friend of mine. Always use fully charged batteries seems to be the best way round it.

Excellent - It was the fact that it was repeatable that threw me. Glad that the problem was resolved cheaply and thanks for adding info that I'm sure will be helpful for others including me if I get a similar problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back