Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cleaning scope advice

Old Monday 8th April 2019, 20:05   #1
hr21

Cleaning scope advice

Hi all,

I have noticed that at certain mags I can see a small spec in the eyepiece showing up in the image.

I think it might just be some dust between eyepiece and scope - is the best way to clean it just to unscrew, blower and if needed a zeiss wipe?

I don't want to do it unless I'm going to get it right, so any advice on this one?

Thanks!
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 21:32   #2
bioscope

If you see the 'particles' only and always at same focal lenght, it could be inside the zoom ocular. In my Zeiss DiaScope I can see some tiny black 'things' at the same place in the field, but only at 20x, they vanish at 23x and came never back until 75x. Perhaps there is dust or other particles on the glass just behind the prism housing, try to blow it away with a mechanical pump from the photoservice, but do not use 'air in a can'. Sharp seen speckles must sit near the focal plane, if so contact the service.
Try to screw out the eyepiece (if it's an opticron), let the things stay sharp - if they turn if you turn slowly the eyepiece, they are in (or at) the eyepiece (the field lens).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: