Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is Robin Nest Abandoned?

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:01   #1
jurrubin

Is Robin Nest Abandoned?

My wife and I recently moved to the Bentonville Arkansas area and have had a robin build a nest on the corner post of a backyard pergola upright that's under roof eaves. She laid an egg but then was spooked out of the nest by my opening the back door. We've avoided doing that since then but it has now been a week since we've seen the robin at the nest at all. And night temperatures have dropped do the upper 50s/lower 60s during that time. Since we're retired and one of us is always home during the day and evening, we're concerned that she may have abandoned the nest and egg.

How long will a robin leave the nest with an egg in it but not have abandoned it? A week seems a bit long but we're new to robin behavior. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 06:42   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrubin View Post
My wife and I recently moved to the Bentonville Arkansas area and have had a robin build a nest on the corner post of a backyard pergola upright that's under roof eaves. She laid an egg but then was spooked out of the nest by my opening the back door. We've avoided doing that since then but it has now been a week since we've seen the robin at the nest at all. And night temperatures have dropped do the upper 50s/lower 60s during that time. Since we're retired and one of us is always home during the day and evening, we're concerned that she may have abandoned the nest and egg.

How long will a robin leave the nest with an egg in it but not have abandoned it? A week seems a bit long but we're new to robin behavior. Any help would be appreciated.
I think you can safely treat the nest as abandoned. After a week, it’s doubtful if the egg is still viable. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 06:45.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 19:35   #3
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

Hm, American Robins are usually pretty tolerant of human activity. I'd take a closer look at the nest to see if there's a bird sitting on it. You might have not noticed the robins coming and going.

On the other hand, I'm seeing juvenile robins around already, and I'm way north of you. Your egg may have failed weeks ago, with the parents stubbornly staying on it until last week.

On the third hand, I can't recall ever seeing a robin's nest with just one egg in it. Perhaps the nest was repeatedly raided, e.g. by crows, and then abandoned once empty.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 13:23   #4
jurrubin

Thank you for the replies and info.

Unfortunately, the robin still hasn't returned at all and now another bird has dumped the egg onto the concrete patio where it shattered. Nothing but yolk inside so definitely not viable. Looks like the nest is definitely abandoned. :( Ah, well.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 13:32   #5
PYRTLE

Shame, though why do you suspect another bird removed and dropped the egg from the nest?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: