• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro. 10x42 but which? (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I have used some binocular of 8x42, some friend's birder, and I always have the feeling that I need some magnification, I have not had the opportunity to try some 10X42, it seems that most observers use the 8X format, I usually observe more in open terrain at medium distances, I know that Swarovski is a reference in this world, so I would like to ask for some model that presents a good value for money, I have seen that there are different models, I imagine there will be some differences between them..for example THE Range, SLC, EL, SWAROBRIGHT, .. any more?
regards
Pluto.

Welcome to Birdforum. The Range is only of benefit if needing a rangefinder, so that may be out for you.

For value and quality that is up to your pocketbook and how much you want to spend. The EL Swarovision
is the top Swarovski model, the flagship, then comes the SLC model.

Good luck in your decision.

Jerry

The 42mm EL and SLC are both excellent, so just try both and see whether you see much difference for the price and which you prefer. Likewise try 8x and 10x (some like me prefer 10). It's really hard to choose a binocular without trying them; they're even different to hold... then again, with these alternatives, you can't go very wrong.

Which 10x42

Dear Pluto,

I only speak about the SWAROVSKI EL´s here as I was not so much impressed by the other SWAROWSKI binoculars optically (I think there ZEISS CONQUEST HD and LEICA HD Plus are better).

Just in short, if

balanced weight and focus speed matter most together with an imaged object field diameter of 120 m/ 1000 m take the ZEISS VICTORY SF 10x42.

highest micro contrast and best colour accuracy matter most go with the SWAROVSKI EL 10x42.

strongest colours and a very inviting view together with the smoothest focusser impressed you most and you like its way of ergonomy go with the LEICA NOCTIVID 10x42.

I use my SWARO EL 10x32 a lot. It also displays 120 m/ 1000 m (!), what the EL 10x42 cannot and feels almost as light as the SF 10x42.

If you mainly use it in very bright sunny situations, often with strong backlight etc. the three 10x42´s are slightly better compared to the 10x32.

If the after sales service and customer attention in case of accidents/ small replacements matters most, SWAROVSKI has an unbeateable service attitude, IMHO unrivalled so far.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:
The SLC and the EL 10X42 are the ones to consider. Personally I would be happy with either. The EL is about 33% more expensive than the SLC. I'm not sure it's worth that premium in price. Some differences:

SLC is lighter and smaller
SLC is less expensive
EL will focus closer
EL has more eye relief
EL image is in focus from one edge to the other(Swarovision)
Both have same glass and coatings, Swarobright and Swaroclean.

In pic below current SLC is on the left, EL on the right

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 151
A big price difference between the EL and the SLC ... wow !! and a bigger difference with this last recommended model the Habicht 10X40 !! the latter can compete at the optical and mechanical level with the EL and SLC models ??
Pluto

A big price difference between the EL and the SLC ... wow !! and a bigger difference with this last recommended model the Habicht 10X40 !! the latter can compete at the optical and mechanical level with the EL and SLC models ??
Pluto

The Habicht porros are a different world from the roofs. You should really try them out to decide for yourself.

It is like a lot of things -- cars, computers, cookware -- you can be very happy using what you have until you try something much better and then going back is hard. Or, some people will not notice the difference or not value the difference in line with the pricing.

If you can find a store and try them out, it would really help you understand if it is worth it. Though be warned, trying the top end might spoil the just "very good." Some people are not comfortable having a US$2000 piece of glass around their neck and worry about bumping it or getting it dirty. My girlfriend is one of those and she is much more happier with a sub-$400 pair that she does not worry about.

So, there are a lot of non-technical aspects and you need to decide for yourself. I personally went with the Zeiss HT 10x42, as I got it used for a very good price and I'm happy with this last-generation alpha. I don't mind that it's not flat field, but again that is a personal preference; I am also super happy looking through EL 8.5x42 flat field and concede that I like it better than the HT, but I'm in no rush to replace the HTs.

Marc

Pluto

Optically yes...mechanically and ergonomically no. Though the Habicht is a nice optical instrument it's not generally as user-friendly. The Habicht is the typical, more traditional binocular first brought out in 1949 I believe. The EL and SLC are about modern and user friendly as binoculars get...

Outside of the Habicht not being good for people that wear glasses I disagree that it is not as ergonomically or mechanically friendly. That is a matter of opinion. Mechanically or ergonomically the Habicht's are ever bit as good as the SV's or SLC's once you have adjusted to their differences from a roof. Their build quality is certainly as good and they are lighter and brighter when compared to the equivalent roof. For example, the Habicht 10x40 W weighs less than 23 oz. and there are very few roofs that can compare with that or their light transmission which is more than 95% or the 3D view. You need to get use to the differences when using a Habicht and most people don't take the time to adjust. I didn't at first either. Their eye cups are smaller and their focuser is tighter but with time you learn how to use them and then you star appreciating their many advantages over a roof and you get hooked on them. Just my experience.

Hi Pluton,

As it's been said, I agree, ANY of the three Swarovskis, in 10x, is a TOP or Alpha binocular in my opinion. But only YOU can decide, ideally trying them at least outside of the store, the one best for you! Even with the BIG price difference. For some, 1000 u$ or euros more, clearly justifies the features of one over the other, and I am the first to understand it. But not for someone else...

Good luck!

PHA

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back