Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HELP please abandoned robin fledgling? UK

Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:33   #1
mungogerry

HELP please abandoned robin fledgling? UK

Hello all,

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area, this is my first post and I have joined this site looking for some pretty speedy advice.

I don't even know what country this is hosted by so I will start by saying that is it now half nine at night in the UK. At half 9 this morning my son came across a baby bird in our back garden. We have lots of mature trees with many nesting birds so we left alone, but kept an eye from a distance and hoped the parents would be nipping down to feed the fledgling. They have not.

Looking on the web it looks like a robin, and we do have robins nest in our garden so this is possible - although their nest is now empty so I can not return it there.

Baby birs is calling a lot and not really moving around to much although does have the odd hop a long and once I have seen it attempt to fly. It couldn't. I was worried that it hadn't eaten for quite a while so at 6pm I gave it a couple of live worms (maybe 2 inches each) with some tweezers. It didn't want any more.

So what do I do now? Do I put it in a box in the garden overnight so it can hear it's parents, but stay warm and safe (4 cats live next door) or do I just leave it alone to take its chances. Or do I do something else.

Many thanks for anyones advice,
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:39   #2
mungogerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungogerry View Post
Hello all,

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area, this is my first post and I have joined this site looking for some pretty speedy advice.

I don't even know what country this is hosted by so I will start by saying that is it now half nine at night in the UK. At half 9 this morning my son came across a baby bird in our back garden. We have lots of mature trees with many nesting birds so we left alone, but kept an eye from a distance and hoped the parents would be nipping down to feed the fledgling. They have not.

Looking on the web it looks like a robin, and we do have robins nest in our garden so this is possible - although their nest is now empty so I can not return it there.

Baby birs is calling a lot and not really moving around to much although does have the odd hop a long and once I have seen it attempt to fly. It couldn't. I was worried that it hadn't eaten for quite a while so at 6pm I gave it a couple of live worms (maybe 2 inches each) with some tweezers. It didn't want any more.

So what do I do now? Do I put it in a box in the garden overnight so it can hear it's parents, but stay warm and safe (4 cats live next door) or do I just leave it alone to take its chances. Or do I do something else.

Many thanks for anyones advice,
Piccy here:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y/IMG_4308.jpg
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:47   #3
Tideliner

Leave it where it is and its parents will find it and it will have a much better chance of survival in the wild. Its unlikely to be abandoned even if you cant see the parents about.
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:52   #4
mungogerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
Leave it where it is and its parents will find it and it will have a much better chance of survival in the wild. Its unlikely to be abandoned even if you cant see the parents about.
Thank you, I will do just that.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: