Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

My First Day Out with Zoom H1

Old Friday 6th July 2018, 23:55   #1
Louis_P
Average Birder

My First Day Out with Zoom H1

Here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Uw?usp=sharing) are my first recordings with the Zoom H1 and its internal mics. These are all unedited. No windmuff was used (will get one soon). I accidentally deleted the first Turtle Dove recording due to the annoying auto play but luckily got a better one later! Last recording is my best one and is of a Nightjar. 10 is the Turtle Dove recording (quite quiet). There are also a Turtle Dove, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Skylark (I think I didn't delete it) and a Dunnock call (I think).

P.S - I don't normally hear this many birds but one site got me Turtle Dove and Nightjar!

Last edited by Louis_P : Friday 6th July 2018 at 23:57.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 08:54   #2
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_P View Post
Here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Uw?usp=sharing) are my first recordings with the Zoom H1 and its internal mics. These are all unedited. No windmuff was used (will get one soon). I accidentally deleted the first Turtle Dove recording due to the annoying auto play but luckily got a better one later! Last recording is my best one and is of a Nightjar. 10 is the Turtle Dove recording (quite quiet). There are also a Turtle Dove, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Skylark (I think I didn't delete it) and a Dunnock call (I think).

P.S - I don't normally hear this many birds but one site got me Turtle Dove and Nightjar!

Sounds good

I have a ZOOM as well, the windmuff coming with the recorder was nothing. But I bought a "cat skin" on line. A muff bag or a fur bag online. This was for ZOOM. Just put it over the mics and the recordings was much better regarding wind etc.

I like my ZOOM but I dont like that I have to put in date and time every time I change batteries and I forget to update the date every time

Have you started to upload to xeno-canto yet?

And I love to make the sound recordings. Something I really could not understand when I started bird watching a little while ago.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th October 2018, 15:45   #3
Louis_P
Average Birder

Thanks for your interest Aladdin. I also got a wind muff a few weeks ago but have not had time to test it yet. I also do find the the date and time thing annoying - all it needs is an RTC (real time clock) which would cost just a few quid to add. I am starting to like bird recording as well and am waiting for spring to go to my local woodland and record the dawn chorus. I had not registered to Xeno Canto but have done just now. I was also planning on making an overnight recorder but if I did it would probably be a DIY one.

Thanks,
Louis P
Old Tuesday 30th October 2018, 02:54   #4
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_P View Post
Thanks for your interest Aladdin. I also got a wind muff a few weeks ago but have not had time to test it yet. I also do find the the date and time thing annoying - all it needs is an RTC (real time clock) which would cost just a few quid to add. I am starting to like bird recording as well and am waiting for spring to go to my local woodland and record the dawn chorus. I had not registered to Xeno Canto but have done just now. I was also planning on making an overnight recorder but if I did it would probably be a DIY one.

Thanks,
Louis P
Cheers

This Real Time Clock, what is that? I searched the internet for a Real Time Clock for my ZOOM but it came up with nothing

Is this something that is easy to add?

Kind regards
Aladdin

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 31st October 2018, 22:59   #5
Louis_P
Average Birder

Sorry I forgot this is a bird forum not an electronics forum (which I spend lots of my time on). A Real Time Clock is basically a little chip which would mean you would only have to set the time once. They are very accurate and run from a small coin cell battery which lasts years. Unfortunately, it is not easy to add (don't even know if it is possible) but the makers of the Zoom H1 could of easily placed one in the original design. Maybe they could feature in a new version of the Zoom H1.

Kind regards,
Louis
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: