Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

MM4 kit question

Old Wednesday 6th February 2019, 20:43   #1
marcsantacurz

MM4 kit question

I'm going up to a reseller to test out an MM4 60mm. This would be my only scope and would be used in addition to 10x42 or 8x33 bins. Sometimes on a tripod, sometimes from a vehicle window mount. I think I want the SDL v2 for versatility and 23x (40831M) for FoV. Opinions on this setup?

I see in another thread, someone suggested the 17x and 32x (discontinued) eyepieces. I was ignoring the 17x as I have 10x bins, but the 17x / 32x combo does seem intriguing, if I could actually find the 32x.

Thanks for all the advice!

Marc
Old Thursday 7th February 2019, 09:40   #2
baz1973

mm4 with SDL is a fantastic setup! You'll be very happy I'm sure. The fixed lenses are great, especially at the lower magnifications, for large FOV. 17x (steadied on a tripod) really feels a world away from 10x handheld though binoculars, to me, at least.
Old Thursday 7th February 2019, 17:30   #3
bioscope

You can read about my decision in the german forum Jlich, Bonn (look also at the links in my first post in the forum-thread), or the 'test' from binomania (translate in english works well). Due to this test I was interested for the 60, because I was searching for a lighter scope - very recommended with the v2.

Manfred
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:49   #4
HeadWest

I am also considering getting the MM3 or MM4 60mm for a travel scope. I am having a very hard time finding the 23x fixed eyepiece available in the US. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 17:59   #5
HeadWest

I should clarify that I'm specifically thinking of the 40831M 23x eyepiece.
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 08:29   #6
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

If you can't get that eyepiece from a dealer, then it can be ordered direct from our US head office in Huntersville, NC - call 704 895 3046.

Cheers, Pete
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 02:48   #7
marcsantacurz

So I went a got the MM4 60mm/45 with the SDLv2 and 23mm. I bought it from Out Of This World. They were able to sell it "unbundled" without the HDF zoom (B&H only sells the combos now). They also included a free slip-on case, which is OK, but you cannot easily rotate the scope using the ring mount, so I'll probably now use it.

I'm very happy with the view. The zoom is very crisp and the fixed 23x is very nice to look through. I only had a chance to use it once so far and it was pretty overcast. I definitely need to practice more on finding stuff with it!

Overall very happy so far. It's pretty compact and light weight. Even with the whole tripod (a sirui CF T-220FX) and head (sirui VA-5 fluid) it is very easy to carry.

Marc
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: