• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping optics clean after shore/boat use (1 Viewer)

Dave75

Hi Folks,

I am planning on purchasing a scope and plan to get more into seabird and wader watching. Generally how does one clean a scope after being on the shore
line (or in a boat with bins) for a day and on the receiving end of sea spray? Wipe down the body with a wet cloth and lenses with cleaning solution? Is that it?

For my bins after birdwatching on land I generally just focus on the lenses now and again using Zeiss lens wet wipes I bought, with a brush and blower used first if they are any bits on them.

Is that what we all generally do?

Thanks for any advice.

David

Hi David

When seawatching or on a pelagic I now carry a blower brush and a couple of small plastic bottles. One contains a weak solution of ecological washing up liquid (Ecover or suchlike) and the other is cold water. I keep a couple of lens cleaning cloths in ziplock bags. When the spray gets too much (sign of a good seawatch!) I clear any sand off with the blower brush, rinse with soapy water, wipe with my ‘wet’ cloth, rinse with cold water then wipe again and finally dry the lenses with the other cleaning ‘dry’ cloth.

If it’s been raining heavily and my gear is soaked I sometimes remove my scope cover and dry the whole thing by (scope) or on (case) a radiator.

This system works for me and although my optics are old they’re relatively scratch free. What do other people do? Hope this helps.

Good Birding

Andrew

You’re welcome David. Should have said the cleaning cloths are microfibres ones. Always worth packing a few spare too.

All the best

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back