• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD85 vs Celestron RegalM2 80ED (1 Viewer)

starbirdnoob

i! My first equipment related post.

I happen to have a Celestron Regal M2 80ED x27LER that I plan to keep, AND a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 that I got as a good deal and plan to resell later.
I want to compare both scopes by means of photo and video, in hope of objectively show optical performance.
I am getting a zoom eyepiece for the Regal, specifically the Baader Hyperion MarkIV.

I feel like I can learn one or two things, being really new to modern optical equipment, all I used before was a pair of really cheap binos. My interests are amateur photography (not astrophoto, yet...), digiscoping, stargazing and nature observing.

My question is: Is there any reason to include in the comparison the Celestron 82003 zoom EP which is the stock for Regal scopes...? (For the test, Celestron 82003 isn't that much expensive anyway)

Also appreciate info of any thread related to this equipment comparison...

I wouldn't bother with the Celestron zoom at this point. I'm certainly curious to see how the M2 w/ Hyperion IV compares with the Razor. I have an M2 with the fixed 17mm Hyperion. It's served me well, but I've never had much luck with higher zoom eyepieces.

Hi, I agree that you can leave the Celestron zoom out of the test. I have both that one and the Baader Hyperion MK IV which is clearly better.
Looking forward to reading about your results

Hi, I am back again.
Took a bit to get tripod, head and other stuff needed to use the scopes...
And finally got the bhz, wich fits very well in the Regal...!!!

I have two options for photo and video:
1) Samsung S7 smartphone
2) Sony a6300.

As the noob I am, I thought a digiadapter for my phone would yield good, nice photos/vid for the porpouse of this thread... Of course I read several posts in the forum, not much flattering about digiscoping, but I insisted and tried.
I've had no luck trying to get the complete circular image you see through the oculars in the phone. Centering the exit pupil and aligning the phone camera lens has being REALLY complicated and the results, are NOT good enough...

I will keep trying with the digiadapter, and will change to a T2 adapter for the sony camera if needed. I include some of the lame results, photos of the scopes and the digiadapter.

sbn

Attachments

• _DSC3091 (2) resampl.jpg
    _DSC3091 (2) resampl.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 20181030_070302 resampl.jpg
    20181030_070302 resampl.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181029_181755.jpg
    20181029_181755.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 20181030_010805.jpg
    20181030_010805.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 133
Hi, I agree that you can leave the Celestron zoom out of the test. I have both that one and the Baader Hyperion MK IV which is clearly better.
Looking forward to reading about your results

I am just curious what model of the Celestron Zoom do you have. They no longer sell the model 82003, 8-24 Zoom. Instead they only offer the new one, model 93230. I found out the hard way in replacing the eyepiece on my used Regal.

Quote from their Tech Rep. "
The eyepieces that come with the Regal are definitely better then the 93230. Unfortunately these eyepieces are not sold as separate items. I have asked and was advised that these are not available even as spares".

Last edited:
i! My first equipment related post.

I happen to have a Celestron Regal M2 80ED x27LER that I plan to keep, AND a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 that I got as a good deal and plan to resell later.
I want to compare both scopes by means of photo and video, in hope of objectively show optical performance.
I am getting a zoom eyepiece for the Regal, specifically the Baader Hyperion MarkIV.

I feel like I can learn one or two things, being really new to modern optical equipment, all I used before was a pair of really cheap binos. My interests are amateur photography (not astrophoto, yet...), digiscoping, stargazing and nature observing.

My question is: Is there any reason to include in the comparison the Celestron 82003 zoom EP which is the stock for Regal scopes...? (For the test, Celestron 82003 isn't that much expensive anyway)

Also appreciate info of any thread related to this equipment comparison...

I have been doing some digiscoping with a used and broken Regal M2 100. Would you have any interest in reselling the zoom 82003 eyepiece if you are not using. Mine does not zoom.

The setup I am exploring includes using a sports action camera with the scope for video and taking still frame from video for pictures.

Here is video link and still frame from a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s1HK8he5I

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-01-04-19h44m09s467 (2).jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-04-19h44m09s467 (2).jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 206
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back