• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Press Release-Meopta (New Head of US Sport Optics) (1 Viewer)

David in NC

Seen this on another site I visit and thought I'd share:

Randy Garrison Named Director of Meopta USA Sport Optics

TAMPA, FL, April 11, 2018 – Meopta has named Randy Garrison Director of Meopta USA Sport Optics. In this role, Garrison will lead day-to-day operations of the division including sales, marketing, advertising, product development and finance.

Garrison brings more than 23 years of experience in the sport optics business to his role. Prior to joining Meopta, Garrison served as General Manager of Nikon Sport Optics. He is also an avid outdoorsman and hunter.

“Randy’s in-depth knowledge of optics and extensive experience in the hunting and shooting industry make him the ideal choice to lead Meopta USA Sport Optics as we implement our aggressive new growth strategy,” said Gerald Rausnitz, CEO of Meopta. “We are extremely pleased to have him on our team.”

“Meopta is a true optical powerhouse, and I am excited and honored to join the company as they celebrate their 85th anniversary” said Garrison. “Before accepting my position, I visited Meopta’s European headquarters where they employ 2,600 people and was impressed by the incredibly high-caliber equipment used to manufacture their optics. They are unique in many ways from designing and manufacturing their own premium, high-performance optics – rather than outsourcing as most companies do – to the management structure of being an American-owned European brand. Meopta is poised to significantly increase its market share here in the U.S., and they are providing me with all the tools necessary to make that happen. This will ultimately benefit dealers and consumers alike.”

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/04/12/randy-garrison-named-director-of-meopta-usa-sport-optics/

I believe they will capture some market share, especially with their aggressive pricing strategy this year. Their products were already world class.

Thanks for posting David. Meopta USA is actually independent of Meopta in the Czech Republic and so is a 'sister' company and not a 'daughter'.

Lee

Last edited:
Lee, post 3,
I do not know whether that is the compete story.
The Meopta company in Prerov is owned by the American Rausnitz family.
Paul Rausnitz was born in Czecho-Slowakia before WW-2, lived in the same village as Daniel Swarovski. When the Nazi murderers occupied the country, the Rausnitz family fled to the Ukrain to escape the death camps, and when that country was also occupied, he joined the resistance army. After WW-2 the family moved to the US and when Meopta was liberated from the communist regime, he bought the Meopta company and, as far as I know Meopta was still family property in 2017. The American branch must belong to the same family is my guess.
Gijs van Ginkel

Lee, post 3,
I do not know whether that is the compete story.
The Meopta company in Prerov is owned by the American Rausnitz family.
Paul Rausnitz was born in Czecho-Slowakia before WW-2, lived in the same village as Daniel Swarovski. When the Nazi murderers occupied the country, the Rausnitz family fled to the Ukrain to escape the death camps, and when that country was also occupied, he joined the resistance army. After WW-2 the family moved to the US and when Meopta was liberated from the communist regime, he bought the Meopta company and, as far as I know Meopta was still family property in 2017. The American branch must belong to the same family is my guess.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for this Gijs, I didn't know the family had moved to the States.
I will correct my post so it doesn't mislead.
Lee

Both formerly independent websites (Meopta Czech Republic and Meopta USA) have recently been merged and are now essentially the same (the language can be changed from English to Czech or German). The websign design is now a modern one and there are new 60-page catalogs in English and German that can be downloaded. The Meostar B1 7x42 has indeed disappeared (it is really a pity, I luckily own one). Up to now, I couldn't find a clue for the potential new line (B2?).

Mark

Last edited:
According to one of the persons in charge of the company in Prerov it was announced during our visit that a new binocular program is in preparation, but things may have changed of course.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for the information, Gijs

Better an announcement of new products as they are available than an announcement in Leica Trinovid Classic style!

Mark

I don't know how responsible Garrison was for Nikon USA's schizophrenic supply policy, but I hope that disease doesn't permeate Meopta.

Nikon is kinda famous for not supporting their products.
#1 case in point: For years Nikon sold Fieldscopes in the US but not many (most?) of the EPs and digiscoping accessories for them.
They're still doing it with the ED50.

And, rather than giving Fieldscope owners the zoom EP they were always wanting, they discontinued the series. Thanks.

Short lived products lines and confusing model niches and nomenclature are also hallmarks of Nikon.

I suspect it was a Nikon Sport Optics problem, not Garrison's. Two other Nikon sport optics guys left and started Tract Optics because of some internal issues as well. Meopta's reputation for high quality, durable optics and stellar customer service is head and shoulders above Nikon's.

samolot post 8,
There is a Meostar 8x32 already and it can compete very well as far as optical performance is concerned for example with the Leica Ultravid 8x32 and, perhaps important, it is much cheaper.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back