Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hillwalker films Scottish Wildcat kits (BBC)

Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 16:23   #1
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

Hillwalker films Scottish Wildcat kits (BBC)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-sco...-in-cairngorms

Just look at that tail! Fantastic find, I doubt my eyes would spot them in that terrain.
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 16:39   #2
PYRTLE

Wow, has to be the real thing given the location.
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 16:41   #3
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Superb

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 19:29   #4
Farnboro John

These are clearly hybrids. The tail rings are not separate but joined by a dorsal black line: the tail tip is pointed not blunt. The body stripes break up into spots especially towards the back end and onto the haunches.

The problem with the Cairngorms is that humans live at high density and have many cats, pet, farm and feral. The few (if any) pure Wildcats left there lose most if not all matings to such animals.

Unfortunately ZSL Scotland etc initially proclaimed the Cairngorms as the site to save the Wildcat. It isn't, as outlined above. They have realised this and more recently have declared they want to take full-blood Wildcats from their last refuges in the West of Scotland, where a rival but much better thought out effort has been running for some years - the Wildcat Haven - and initiate a captive breeding programme. Thus they will simultaneously begin an effort of doubtful success while destroying the only real hope there has been - with neutering of pet and feral cats across the area to ensure matings are successful between Wildcats.

Thus also two groups of people with a common aim are absolutely at odds. Stupid doesn't begin to describe it. Personally I am on the side of the non-Establishment project.

Anyway, nothing to see here. Move on.

John
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 19:48   #5
PYRTLE

http://www.scottishwildcataction.org...ttish-wildcat/
Useful diagrams for the finer details and as John correctly states, a hybrid. Hopefully the pure examples can be saved from the brink of extinction.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Monday 22nd October 2018 at 19:57.
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 10:10   #6
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

This is all a big shame to hear. Be interesting to know if anything besides the footage itself has propelled this story to national news, i would suggest not but who knows?

The quote in the article that the footage appears to show full Wildcat kittens is from Scottish Wildcat Action. Is their presumable mis-identification due to lack of knowledge of their sole study species or an exercise in PR?

Assume John you mean RZSS when you say ZSL Scotland? They are in this partnership but I don't see ZSL.
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 18:31   #7
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellMills View Post
This is all a big shame to hear. Be interesting to know if anything besides the footage itself has propelled this story to national news, i would suggest not but who knows?

The quote in the article that the footage appears to show full Wildcat kittens is from Scottish Wildcat Action. Is their presumable mis-identification due to lack of knowledge of their sole study species or an exercise in PR?

Assume John you mean RZSS when you say ZSL Scotland? They are in this partnership but I don't see ZSL.
Sorry for the delay, been getting the dinner on. Keema masala - I can do it in my sleep but I do actually have to be there....

Yes, RZSS. Had a momentary blank when I was thinking of the abbreviation and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

As for the mis-ID, given the credentials of the organisation's experts, it's impossible to view it as other than deliberate: an attempt to hoodwink the public for project publicity. Sad, really.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: