• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm going on holiday to somewhere in Europe (1 Viewer)

Peter 255

Can anyone give me any advice into where to go in Europe for birdwatching. I will be going in winter, and outside Britain and Ireland please.

Thanks

The bulgarian coast is great in Winter. Dalmatian Pelican, Red-breasted Geese (thousands of them) and more good species. Some days in Varna and some days in Burgas allow you to find most species. Cons: it can be very cold.

Morocco is also a great winter destination, although not in Europe anymore. Also geographically a part of Africa but otherwise pure Europe would be the Canaries. Easy travelling, great birdlife with many endemics.

Greetings from Switzerland (not to recommend in winter for birding)

André

Classic winter trips are South Spain as Edward said (Donana or Almeria would be my choice), South France (Carmargue area) and Finland (small selection of seriously cool birds). Penty of trip reports on all these.

Hello,

around Berlin are some good place in winter.
Floodplains Elbtalauen and the area around lake Guelper see has some assemblies of geese, ducks, swans like Whooper swans. And of course some small assemblies of White - tailed Eagles are possible.
It is also worth to go nearby to Poland into nationalparc of Wartha river delta.
It depends how is the weather and the ice condition on the rivers and lakes.

Best regards
Dieter

Portugal.The Algarve
Quinta de Lagos,Pera Marshes,Ria de Formosa.
I go in Feb most years and have never been disappointed with the birding yet.

Portugal.The Algarve
Quinta de Lagos,Pera Marshes,Ria de Formosa.
I go in Feb most years and have never been disappointed with the birding yet.

Good call. This was my first experience of birding outside UK (in early March I think) and I loved it. More than enough to keep most of happy.

It has to be SW Andalucia as far as I'm concerned. Not Gibraltar as it's more expensive, the foods not as good and its a bit out on a limb. I'd opt for somewhere central in Cadiz province. Personally I'd recommend somewhere around Jerez as you're not too far from the east bank of the Guadalquivir (flamingos etc) but within striking distance of the mountains Black Wheatear, Alpine Accentor etc) various lagunas (Crested Coot), La Janda (B-w Kite) etc. A few Booted Eagles and Lesser Kestrels are still around in the area too. It can be pleasantly warm (Feb can be like a nice day in May). Look at Peter Jones's site www.spanishnature.com for ideas (although he's based more towards Ronda than my favoured patch) and the iberianature webpage.

If you do go to Cadiz province (or even if you don't) let me know so i can send you my birding notes and notes on various sites for the area. I've a trip report for 5 days in mid-Feb which might help (this can be downloaded from the iberiannature site),

John

This evening I've just booked my winter trip. A week in southwestern Spain, but away from the areas I've been to before. I've just come back (yet again) from the area that John Cantelo rightly recommends, but at the end of next February I'm off on a trip through the Coto Donana and Extremadura. Great Bustard beckons.

(John forgot to mention the other drawback of Gibraltar. You can't get parked to save your life. This came in handy last month when we were there for Barbary Partridge, because my wife decided that the shops could do without a visit after all and we went for another visit to La Janda).

That's the next trip, 3 days in the Pyrenees followed by the Ebro in late April early May. Main accomodation booked a few days ago, now waiting for the flights to become available on Easyjet.

I love it.

Peter, get yourself to Spain. Great birds and you spend more time in the UK airport than you do on the plane. Leave here at breakfast time, birding at lunchtime. I can't get enough.

That's the next trip, 3 days in the Pyrenees followed by the Ebro in late April early May. Main accomodation booked a few days ago, now waiting for the flights to become available on Easyjet.

I love it.

Peter, get yourself to Spain. Great birds and you spend more time in the UK airport than you do on the plane. Leave here at breakfast time, birding at lunchtime. I can't get enough.

.... not to mention friendly locals, excellent food & wine (at reasonable prices), stunning and varied scenery, wonderful architectureand a fascinating history. OK I realise that the last two might not be to everyone's taste, but let's not be too blinkered about this marvellous country. I'd only disagree with Alan in one particular - fly Clickair (rather than Ryanair/Easyjet) if you can. They have more comfortable seats and, above all, you can book seats online so that hideous rush you get with the other two is avoided. A much more relaxing way to start a holiday and they can be less expensive too,

John

I don't think we have Clickair at Newcastle, John (In fact until now I'd never even heard of them - thanks for the info), but what I like about Easyjet it the cabin baggage allowance, as much as a strong man can carry provided it can fit into a big bag.

This means I can get my scope, bins, cameras, camcorder etc into the hand baggage without worrying that the check-in staff are going to say "Sorry, that's over 5kg, can you put some of it into the hold". (It's happened)

barcelona area, north east spain

Can anyone give me any advice into where to go in Europe for birdwatching. I will be going in winter, and outside Britain and Ireland please.

Thanks

Hi Peter

I've sent you a PM but just a quick word for NE Spain. In my opinion actually better than southern spain because of the greater variety of habitats all in a small area.

The weather's good too. We actually had breakfast out on the terrace this morning.

All the best

Hi Peter

I've sent you a PM but just a quick word for NE Spain. In my opinion actually better than southern spain because of the greater variety of habitats all in a small area.

The weather's good too. We actually had breakfast out on the terrace this morning.

All the best

Stephen's right that NE Spain is a great choice ... but I'd still opt for the south!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back