• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar: some travel & accommodation details (1 Viewer)

GDK

I visited Madagascar in December 2010 for 2 weeks with a friend. A few details are provided below.

All Costs are in Ariary.
At the time the exchange rate was roughly 3300MGA (Malagasy Ariary) = £1 (UK pound)

Transport
From the Airport on arrival we hired a taxi to take us to Andasibe. These are not cheap, but are convenient after many hours travelling.

For the remainder of our time travelling we sourced a better deal, as cheaply as possible (via local requests) a driver, Eugine Rakotobe, with vehicle - a Nissan 4x4.

We hired Eugine for 10 days and he charged us 100,000MGA (Malagasy Ariary) per day (with petrol being additional). We found his services more than adequate for our needs, and the trip we undertook (Andasibe - Ifaty via various stop offs) went without incident. Eugine could recommend suitable accommodation which we usually only arrived at in the evenings, with no pre-booking.

The vehicle was basic, with a few niggles such as no rear seat belts, but it remained reliable; and Eugine’s driving was perfectly acceptable during our time with him. He mentioned that he had 4 vehicles in total and with his brother he ran a driver/guiding service. He would be able to put together a trip to anywhere in the country and had contacts at most of the places we visited. The vehicle we used could take four people and baggage in the car, or upto 7 people, but the baggage would then have to be strapped to the roof.

Eugine spoke acceptable English, but not brilliant (we left him our English-French phrase book to brush up). We never struggled getting our message across, but contact over the internet or on telephone it may be more difficult if using English. His French was obviously perfect, and I think he spoke some Spanish and Italian too (as he often guides these nationalities).

I said I would provide details as he was keen on increasing his English speaking trade.

His details are:
[email protected] tel 00261 330984410, 00261 341750039

Whilst at Andasibe we didn’t keep our car or driver but managed to still make it to Mantadia when necessary by hiring via Patrice (the guide) an old Peugeot from his brother Maurice (80,000MGA a day fuel included) with Patrice driving. This vehicle got us there and back, but would not be advisable during extended wet periods as it wouldn’t cope with a wet access road (we were lucky the rains were late). It had to be bump started once.

A single internal flight was made at a cost of 360,000MGA

Accommodation
Costs given per room not per person. All rooms were basic, but perfectly acceptable to our standards.

Andasibe (Perinet/Mantadia) – Hotel Feon ‘ny’ Ala basic twin room no ensuite 32,000MGA (the most enjoyable hotel we stayed at by a long way). Speaking with the bird guide Patrice he is currently building guest accommodation on the edge of the village of Andasibe, adjacent to his house, presumably to be ready by the main bird watching season in Autumn 2011. When in the village one evening at the internet café he took us around to see his work in progress – and show us his resident garden Madagascar Flufftail . His contact is number is 0(0261) 330241390.

Ranomafana – Hotel Ihary to the eastern edge of the village twin cabin with ensuite 50,000MGA

Anja – Anja Community Reserve Accommodation. 50,000MGA New build with restaurant adjacent.

Isalo/Zombitse – We decided to stay outside of Isalo as it is less expensive and nearest to Zombitse is the village of Sakaraha. Here the Hotel Le Palace on the western edge of town had a basic twin room with toilet/shower in room (separated by curtain) for 30,000MGA. This town and more especially the town between Isalo and Zombitse are the centre for Sapphire mining district, advice is to be careful in these parts, but the hotel we stayed at seemed ok during our stay.

Ifaty/Mangily – Hotel Vovotello – beach front twin room hut with ensuite. 60,000MGA. The hotel backs onto the beach.

Antanarivo – Hotel Le Cheval Blanc – 46,100MGA for a twin room with ensuite. Food here the worst for the trip, room ok. 1mile from Airport, 40mins to centre of the city (because of the horrific traffic congestion – get dropped off on the outskirts of the centre and walk in).

Information on Birding Sites:
Various trip reports.
The single most useful and detailed report was the trip report from Brian Gee (1998), available from the African Bird Club for £9+ postage. http://www.africanbirdclub.org/sales/sales2.html Although over 10 years old, the detail in the areas we visited, including location of target birds appeared to be still valid. Unfortunately some of the numbers such as eg Sandgrouse are now well down than just 12 years ago.
Where guides were used, they are mandatory in the national parks, they were asked for (from trip report recommendations) on arrival to an area. Overall the guides we used, whether previously recommended in trip reports, or just whoever we came across, were all very good – however I recommend, to be safe, writing down an agreed price beforehand to avoid complication at the end. I would only mention caution with experiences using a couple of the guides regarding some of their ethics on showing wildlife. As an example, in Ranomafana we were asked if we wanted to see the Comet Moths Argema mittrei which get attracted to the Hydro power station lights. We jumped at the chance but we were instead taken around to a house by our guide who came out with two pinned Comet Moths still just alive, retrieved from the lights the previous evening probably. The guide tried to pass them off as fine, but we said this is not how we wish to see the wildlife (taking their final breaths) and refused to look at them in detail or photo them. I don’t blame the guides for trying to please their clients, particularly as they may not fully understand the same rules we like to play by, but please be aware of the potential for such ‘shortcuts’ to showing you the things you wish to see and the consequences.

Guiding costs were between 80-120,000MGA for pre-dawn to post dusk day if required. Generally a 2-3hr guide would be around 15-20,000MGA. Costs are per group not individual.

Definitely food for thought Gareth - have you written up a trip report? Would be good to know what you saw/missed

Ads

Hi Ads,

No trip report Im afraid, can I interest you in a Montenegro or Turkey trip report instead as that’s what ive committed myself to doing in my spare time at the moment.

I will try and fill out a bit more info on the wildlife here so you’ve got a flavour of what we achieved in two weeks.

The recent Madagascar trip report in the vacational trip section is very similar to what we achieved for the same sites visited (Andasibe (Perinet-Mantadia) – Ranomafana – Anja – Zombitse – Ifaty). We probably saw some of the same individual birds that Rob and co saw... we missed a few more of the things that weren’t a primary target for me (eg like the Snipe) as I was birding with a non-birder and couldnt flog it completely. I concentrated on seeing the main endemic families and did very well in that respect including:

All five Ground Rollers (four sp. after the first 3 days at Andasibe!), & again Pitta Like and Rufous Headed at Ranomafana on the Vohiparara trail, Long Tailed in the Spiny Forest at Ifaty;

8 of the 9 Coua’s - missed only Verreaux’s which should have been doable in the Coral Rag scrub at Tulear but we didn’t make it. Our laisse-faire attitude to transport finally caught up with us as we had to cut the south section a day short as the internal flight was full for the day we wanted;

2 of 3 Mesites, i.e. all possible on the southern RN7 route. Brown in Ranomafana, Subdesert in Ifaty

11 of 15 Vanga’s – again out of those available in the south (12) only missed Red Shouldered, because of our cock-up with internal flights.+ Crossley’s Babbler (Vanga)

1 Cuckoo-Roller (all over)

3 of 4 Asities. Common Sunbird & Velvet at Andasibe area, Velvet and Yellow Bellied Sunbird at Ranomafana usual spot. The last is in the north west.

Also did well with all the rainforest sculkers such as Oxylabes, Yellowbrow, all the usual forest passerines, Pigmy Kingfisher, both Nightjars. Goshawk and 2 sparrowhawks. All the Spiny Forest endemics round Ifaty, etc etc.

In terms of other wildlife we saw:

16sp of Lemur: Ring Tailed, Verreaux’s, 2xMouse, 2xDwarf, 2xSportive, Black&White Ruffed, Indri, Diademed, Milne Edwards, Greater & Golden Bamboo, Red Fronted, Common Brown.

15+ sp of Chameleon and Satanic & Mossy Leaf Tailed Gecko. Loadsa frogs including 3sp of Mantella, 7 Tree Boa’s and another 6sp of snake
Striped Teneric, and various rodents.

Regarding timing Dec is supposed to be the start of the rains in the central and southern Rainforest belt. We encountered no rain at Andasibe, which was very dry; and some rain at Ranomafana, but even there was still dry. The first leeches were out and about here. The bird breeding season is Sept-Nov so on our visit many of the birds seemed to have fledged young. This didn’t seem to hinder us too much, although Crossley’s Babbler was not calling (but its relatively frequent where it occurs and we eventually saw one on a trail early morning at Ranomafana). The Long Eared Owl was not calling and we missed that. We saw both Scaly Ground Roller and Long Tailed Ground Roller with fledged young. Neither were heard calling but the Scaly family was just hanging around the stream at the beginning of the Ground Roller trail at Mantadia with a Pitta Like for company (ie a usual spot Im led to believe). Short Legged Ground Roller was still calling, as was Rufous Headed.

Will post some photos below to help seal the deal for you ;-) If I get a chance to do more of a write up in the future after these other trip reports Ive started, will let you know. However, if you do have any specific questions having read some of the gen then send me a PM and Ill do my best to answer it for you based on my experience.

The latest BBC offering on Madagascar is on this coming Wednesday, with David Attenborough narrating and returning to see the changes since his Zoo Quest visits. Will be worth watching.

Photos - 4 of 5 ground rollers:

1) Short Legged Ground Roller
2) Scaly Ground Roller
3) Young Scaly
4) Pitta-like Ground Roller
5) Long Tailed Ground Roller

Attachments

• IMG_7465.jpg
    IMG_7465.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_8256.jpg
    IMG_8256.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_7731crop.jpg
    IMG_7731crop.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7975.jpg
    IMG_7975.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
A selection of lemurs... Lemurs being generally very approachable everywhere, eg the Ring Tail was taken with a 100mm lens.

1) Ring Tailed Lemur
2) Rufous/Brown Mouse Lemur
3) Golden Bamboo Lemur
4) Hubbard's Sportive Lemur (yellow eyes?)
5) Indri

Attachments

• IMG_70031.jpg
    IMG_70031.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7438.jpg
    IMG_7438.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8386.jpg
    IMG_8386.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 151
A selection of the many herps...

1) Parson's Chameleon
2) Madagascar Tree Boa
3) Mossy Leaf Tailed Gecko
4) Mantella baroni
5) Satanic Leaf Tailed Gecko

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8152.jpg
    IMG_8152.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8236.jpg
    IMG_8236.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 153
Cheers for that Gareth!! Don't know if it was a good thing showing the mouth-watering photos....! A good total of species indeed! May serioously consider this for next year as it's my 40th - was planning on PNG but that is just so hideously overpriced it's scary!
So now much did it set you back roughly?? (PM me if preferable)

Cheers again
Ads

Could I interest you in uploading those ground roller photos to the gallery? For example, for the Long-tailed, there is only one image available in BF before yours.

Thanks
Niels

Hi Ads, I had thought the cost all in was about £1.3k but that may have been slightly optimistic. It was probably just a little more than that but under £1.5k. The most expensive parts by far being the flights. £670 from Heathrow with Kenya Airways, and over £100 for an internal flight. All of the shared costs above were only split two ways, if you can get four people along those costs would ofcourse have the chance of being halved.

To get to the Masoala Peninsula for the Helmet Vanga would either take upto two days on the road and a boat across the bay, or an internal flight and the boat. You can probably estimate the costs from that. I dont know how much the boat costs - it probably depends somewhat upon you negotiating skills. I have to say it was hard to stomach going to Mad and not attempting that iconic bird, but with just two weeks you have to make some choices...

Niels - Im not very good with this gallery/opus thing. Ive just uploaded the photos by clicking on an upload button, but I think Ive accidentally uploaded them to a help section? Apologies if I have. Let me know if I need to upload them again! http://www.birdforum.net/help/Special:Contributions/GDK

ps. Ads, know what you mean about PNG, its high on my wish list, those costs are just crazy though.

Last edited:
Cheers for that Gareth. Nice to see that such an amazing place is still financially viable to us mere mortals. Listen on PNG - soon it'll only be the mega-rich (not just the really rich!) that can afford to go!!!

Been following this post with interest I will visiting madagascar end of May this year looking forward to seeing some of these fantastic birds

Hi Ads, I had thought the cost all in was about £1.3k but that may have been slightly optimistic. It was probably just a little more than that but under £1.5k.

Very, very impressive! Many thanks for posting the details of your trip here.

Cheers,

Andy.

Cheers for that Gareth. Nice to see that such an amazing place is still financially viable to us mere mortals. Listen on PNG - soon it'll only be the mega-rich (not just the really rich!) that can afford to go!!!

Go to West-Papua. All the birds for half the price.

Go to West-Papua. All the birds for half the price.

Hi Temmie,

Any particular nugget's of information that may not be readily available elsewhere on getting round the birding sites in West Papua? I think Wilson's BoP is probably the bird I most want to see...

Back to Madagascar, thanks for the comments, enjoy your trip Hagar, interesting to see that you are bucking the trend and going outside the typical time of year for birders - hope you do well.

Hi Temmie,

Any particular nugget's of information that may not be readily available elsewhere on getting round the birding sites in West Papua?

Indeed, post any details here please!! Or start another thread of course....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back