• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings All. Hen Harrier New Forest (1 Viewer)

Mr Goo

I'm a keen cyclist and very amateur bird watcher, and whilst out on a spin in the New Forest last Friday (6th Mar 15). I saw this white/grey bird of medium/large size skimming over the heather about 2-300 yards from the road. Initially I thought if was a gull cruising low over the terrane as it was quite windy. As I continued the bird started drawing nearer and I noticed the black wing tips, fanned tail and non gull beak/bill. It was great when it crossed in front of me only about 50 yards away and then it was off down hill. On returning home it was out with the book and low and behold, my first Hen Harrier (male), which I understand winter over in the UK.

I recall seeng one many years ago N of the A31 near Handy Cross (on the way to Ringwood) - it made my day as it was also a lifer.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back