• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics at the ABE (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I was surprised not to see a thread here for the American Birding Expo since it is supposed to be the US equivalent of bird fair. :)

I am here for the 3 day event. Anybody want me to check anything in particular out? More optics companies than I remember seeing in past years....even Steiner, Meopta and Bushnell are present.

Thanks Frank, I was searching for this a little while back, but didn't remember the name of the show, so your post took me surprise, now that it is here. So, Tract Optics is not participating? I guess they don't consider themselves a birding binocular company? Too bad, I did want to visit them if I went to the Expo. Interesting that Nikon doesn't participate either!

And, by the way, can you explain this?:
New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory will serve as the exclusive optics dealer for the 2018 American Birding Expo, and Allen’s Camera is the official photography retailer of the Expo.

So there are no independent retailers there to buy from? Another seemingly strange idea, to me, but then I am new to birding expos and shows, etc., from other interests I have that encourage independent dealers. It sounds like fun though, but I don't know if I am up to the crowds, and being on my feet for long periods of time even so.

I hope you all enjoy it, if you are going!

Barry,

Yes, no Tract and no Nikon. No surprise on the latter. There hasn’t been a company rep for several years since they restructured and Mike friedberg left.

CMBO is the only dealer at the show. It was the same way last year. Not sure of the situation behind that but all sales go through them and, honestly, they are a great group of folks.

Thanks for the reply, Frank. Too bad about Tract and Nikon. I'm sure CMBO is a good organization-just curious about why it's limited like this. So, no used binoculars for sale then, I take it to mean-like they do at some events like this, unless CMBO has them. Interesting.

Do a lot of people buy there, or is it more of just a perusal of wares (OK, I'll say it)-an EXPO, then? ; )

Frank
Thanks for touching base.

Any news on the following would be great:
Zeiss SF 32mm
Meopta replacements for current MeoStar B1s
Retro Leica Trinovids

Thanks Frank

Lee

I will ask the Zeiss and Meoptas guys when I have a chance.

Will check on the used models and, yes, a lot of folks buy here because of the show sales. Typically 10% off of MAP.

I did have the opportunity to ask Zeiss about the SF 8x32. The word is Birdfair 2019.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Meopta booth.

Dennis,

Certainly. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back