• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Places on the Wirral? (1 Viewer)

Hi Goldfinch

There's a couple of articles here in Opus which you may like. When you open one of them; right at the bottom you'll find links to Merseyside and the Dee Estuary, which will get you more articles.

Hope they help.

D

Hi,

I would just like to know what the good places for Birding on the wirral?

Thats is really.

Thanks for any advice.
checkout the wonderfully informative dee estuary site for loads of info. basically, the whole west side from burton mere wetlands through parkgate, west kirby, hilbre island, hoylake & then the north coast from meols, leasowe, new brighton. each area has its specialities depending on the season. i'd start at bmw & work north. spring is sprung. loads of action, hehe

Just to confirm OF's post.

Today started at BMW great white egret, black tailed godwit, merlin, 9 grey heron. pintail, shelduck. Parkgate little egret, spoonbill, common snipe, curlew. Hoylake Ringed plover, dunlin, redshank, shelduck,Greenshank, knot, oystercatchers. New Brighton Redshank, turnstone, purple sandpiper plus a full supporting cast!

Great day

So i'm hoping to go to the wirral this weekend.

Will it be a good time AND if so were should i go? what can i expect to see?

High tide will be around lunchtime (12.04 on Sat and 12.45pm on Sun) at Hilbre with the tide about 20 mins later at Parkgate.

Due to the height of the tides (10m) there are a number of events on the Dee Estuary:-

Saturday
High tide birdwatch at King’s Gap, Hoylake. Start 9.30am, high tide at 11.57am.

RSPB High Tide Birdwatch at Parkgate (Old Baths Car Park). Starts 10am, high tide at 12.16pm.

Sunday
RSPB High Tide Birdwatch at Parkgate. Starts 10am, high tide at 12.57pm.

A word of warning, get to Parkgate early as there will be a lot of people there.

Check out the www.deeestuary.co.uk for the latest sightings.

CB

As early as you can make it really. For that famous one back in Feb 2010 I reckon there was 300+ birders. You were lucky to find a spec from which you could view the Marsh without someone in front of you. Not saying it'll be defo that bad but it can attract a lot of people.

Looking at the weather tomoz will be the best bet with some good strong onshore winds forecast that could mean we see the marsh flood all the way to the sea wall again. Sunday may still be quite good as the wind is generally still blowing onshore just not quite as strong. If one was to find anywhere along the Dee Marshes to sit and watch you'll probs get just as much of the action as being on the RSPB owned parts. Maybe some will try the new Burton RSPB marshes too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back