• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member - Hello! (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I've just joined the Forum, can't for the life of me think why I have not done so sooner.

My name is Ian, I live in the North West of the UK and have been a fairly keen birdwatcher for about 20 years or so. Most of my birdwatching takes place in and around my local patch which is West Kirby on the Wirral. The town/village is right on the River Dee estuary which makes it one of the best places in the country for shore birds and migrants. We have Hilbre Island just off the coast which has recorded some great rarities over the years.

On Wednesday there were over 180 Brent Geese on the foreshore at high tide and I saw several Eider ducks on one of the Middle Hilbre island although others reported more. Overall the stretch of coastline from WK up to Red Rocks at Hoylake always has something to keep most bird watches happy for an hour or so. Big high tides here this weekend which should be fun.

Regards

Ian

Hi there Ian and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum, Ian.

Chris

BTW If you're going to Hoylake for the high tide tomorrow ( loads of gulls :t: ) keep an eye out for an old fart in a tweed flat hat. Could be me :eek!:

Chris

Hi Guys,

Looking forward to the high tide today, 12.45 I think. We were going to go down to Parkgate but for a number of reasons I think we will stay local. we will walk up towards Red Rocks which is always enjoyable. Even on a quiet day there are usually a few skylarks around and it is always good to hear them singing.

Forecast is for overcast sky and temp no higher than 10 degrees C, not as good as yesterday. Never mind a bit of fresh air will no doubt do us some good.

Will take my old 60mm scope with us. I'm hoping to try an upgrade this to something a bit more modern and more suited to sea watching later this year. Probably something secondhand. For now it does the job though.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back