• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Owl at Lac de Sidi Boughaba (1 Viewer)

Surrey_Ed

Is this site reliable for Marsh Owl still?

I have read conflicting reports, and furthermore, in Ben Madonald's 2015 report, he writes the following "This is also an unsettling site in a generally friendly country, with cars cruising slowly around on full beam lights, pulling up silently beside you. For these reasons I would avoid Lac de Sidi Boughaba"

Would love to hear any more information on the regularity of birds there. Unfortunately I have only one night, and won't have time to get up to Merja Zerga.

This is a difficult bird and one day with a guide in Merja Zerga might not even be reliabale. There is one observation on morocco.observado.org from last year for Sidi Boughaba, but that is a heard only.
I was there in 2012 and although there where a lot of people, didn't find them any more annoying than elswhere in Morocco.

Many thanks for the reply.

Probably won't bother with Sidi Boughaba, and will concentrate my efforts on the Francolin...

I visited this site in spring 2014, with three other birders. We had previously (that week) seen one Marsh Owl at Merja Zerga (at dawn) - but it as distant and brief. We tried Sidi Boughaba (north end) at dusk, and at very last light one bird came down from the trees on the east side, and hunted briefly over the Marsh - it was so brief that only two of us got on the bird. We were lucky to see that, as it was almost dark by this point. A tricky species at either site. We did score with the Francolin's too, but again, only brief views.

Cheers guys.

Now contemplating a different plan entirely, as it seems a dedicated week or 2 is needed for the Owl and Francolin.

The High Atlas and beyond is tempting.

Me and my friends had the Francolin the first morning we tried. But the views where poor. This was compendated by the lovely area.
You are going mid-march, right? The passes over the Atlas might still be covered in snow and Oukaimeden will definately be under snow.

DS Francolins perch up in bushes to call after dawn, in early May at least - good scope views from the road in 2014.

cheers, alan

Thanks again guys.

Thijsdekruif, I am going from March 29-31, and was planning on birding in Oukaimeden. Do you think this is a bad idea?

Not sure, it might very well be that Oukaimeden is inaccessible. But then the birds might be lower in the mountains, it is a simple one-way road after all. I think Acrocephalus can tell you more about it.

Oukaimeden in March and first half of April is a very good idea. Mountain birds can easily be found at the plateau at the surrounding areas. I went there in mid-April and found big flocks of the African Crimson-winged Finch by the ski lift (eating nuts) and other places, Atlas Horned Larks, Alpine Accentor, thrushes, tits…. I went there a week later in another year, and although we found some birds at the plateau and its surrounding (Seebohm's Wheatear …), we didn’t found a single African Crimson-winged Finch at the base of the ski lift.

If you have enough time, I suggest you to try using the ski lift to go to the mountain for an hour or two (I tried it for a chance to see the Bearded Vulture, although we didn’t see it, the scenery and the experience was good).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back