• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

looking at it again... It might be a female.. Its only very lighly barred underneath.. buts it big! Its nearly dark now and its still munching on gull!

Peregine eating Carrion, I thought they only took live prey! The gull was long dead - a tideline corpse.

It was scarcely hungry - look at its crop in the middle pic!

Matbe it forgot it had eaten the plover and when it returned it thought the gull was the plover it had just killed. I've never heard of Peregrine eating carrion before. However, I always thought Red Kites only ate carrion until I saw one pluck a Jackdaw out of a tree!

I thought that might explain it - the plover corpse was only 10ft from the Gull. I might yet wander out there and see what is left of both of the food items

Excellent! one of my favs....must find an excuse to get out somewhere over the weekend..........wonder if my missus would like a trip to the coast for mother's day? ;)

There is a huge tide today and a stiff wind. A pair of Pintail about 20ft up over the garden were new for the year 65th species.

The 66th species for the year just sailed past on the tide edge - A Sandwich Tern! The earliest record since I moved in in May 2000, by 2 days!

35 Black-wits just went East - so that's 67 for the year. There is a very Scnadi looking Rock pipit on the beach at Red Rocks on the way down to West Kirby.

Someone has posted a Water Pipit at West Kirby on "BirdGuides" this afternoon.

A couple of us spent half an hour grilling a pipit at Filey on Friday unsure as to if it was "littoralis" Rock or Water Pipit. They are just so difficult in winter, aren't they?

I actually think they are harder in spring plumage - in winter Wapits are so brown... now they are going greyer above. This bird was well marked below- so there shouldn't have been much of a problem.. but it did have a lovely vinous wash to the breast, almost unstreaked grey mantle and very white wing bars and super. Saw it well enough to be sure there was no white on the second outermost TF

68th species of the year. 7 Scaup on the sea. Its flat calm so once I have packed the kids off to school I'll count the Grebes!

.........and now there is a Chiffchaff singing in the back garden. If he comes in range I'll see if I can get a picture of him. 69th

I didn't know that Peregrines ate carrion but after doing some digging I have found that the Helm book of Raptors of the World uses the word "exceptionally" when referring to the eating of carrion. Dick Forsmans book on Raptors of Europe and the Middle East does not mention carrion. Having done a 'Google' I find the words pertaining to carrion are 'scare' 'rare' 'occasional' and there is a mention of eating carrion when live prey is in short supply which is clearly not the case in your observation. In this case I could agree with the idea of the bird 'mis-remembering' which prey it killed.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back