• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie Bird names - the "C's" (1 Viewer)

pete woodall

A while ago I posted a list of some unusual and informal Aussie bird names and asked for their current names. Here is the next batch, dealing with those starting with C

cape sheep

carpenter-bird

cataract-bird = Rock warbler (Edward)

chattering bee-eater

Christ-bird

cobbler

cocktail = fairy wren (Edward)

country-women-bird or CWA-bird = Apostlebird (Edward)

cranky-fan

I'll give the answers and some explanation after you've tried you luck with them. I don't expect that some will take long to crack but others might be more of a challenge.
Cheers

Last edited:
cocktail - one of the fairywrens
chattering bee-eater - not Rainbow Bee-eater then?
cranky-fan - most of Australia when England retain the Ashes in January

E

Hi all

Some interim comments.
Christ bird - no, not Apostle bird
Cataract bird = yes, rock warbler, because it inhabits rocky ground near waterfalls in the Hawksbury sandstone area near Sydney.
CWA bird = yes, Apostlebird from habit of forming "talkative" groups.
Cape Sheep - not shearwater .. but close!
cocktail = yes, one of the fairy-wren species, from their habit of cocking their tails.
chattering bee-eater - no, not the Rainbow Bee-eater, that would be too easy!
cranky fan - no, couldn't be further from the truth!

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
Cape Sheep - Little Penguin
Christ bird - Night Parrot (from the observer's reaction when he finally sees one crouching in the spinfex outside Birdsville and gets photographic evidence, 'CHRIST!')

E

Little Penguin for "Cape Sheep" is "warm' but not correct, and Night parrot for "Christ Bird" is very "cold".
Cranky fan is correct for the Grey fantail and it is still in use.

A couple of clues: "Carpenter-bird" was in the previous quiz on Aussie bird names; and both "Christ-bird" and "Cobbler" are water-birds in a loose sense.

Cheers

Last edited:
The attempts on these names seem to be drying up so I'll give answers for the remaining ones:

Cape Sheep = Wandering Alabatross, years ago seamen made their skins into feathered rugs... the birds are white like most sheep.

Carpenter Bird - Long-tailed Nighjar (previously featured as the "Betting bird") because its "chop-chop-" call is like someone working on wood.

Chattering bee-eater = Noisy Miner, from early name given by Latham in 1801 Merops garrulus, garrulus meaning chattering. [I can't think why he thought they were a bee-eater Merops]

Christ-bird = Comb-crested Jacana, from their apparent ability to walk on water.

cobbler = Red-necked Avocet, from long, thin recurved bill.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back