• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice on the Conservation / Environmental impacts of solar farms (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm hearing news of Solar farms being proposed in my local area.. I think all four sites mentioned are in the vicinity of my local birding routes!

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11321768.Plans_unveiled_for_new_32_000_panel_solar_farm/

So assuming the Warren Farm one goes ahead on what is currently intensive grazing land, is there anything I can suggest during the consultation phase to maximise the benefits to wildlife? set aside around the edge perhaps?

Does anyone have experience of these farms and the effect on wildlife? At least one of the sites has breeding Lapwing in the area, but I don't think this is the field being proposed for solar.

Any feedback would be useful. The consultation is on the 14th July 2014. I have an open mind for this at the moment. Certainly an improvement on windfarms, or a housing estate!

Thanks,
Peter

I attended the consultation for this proposed solar farm last night.. the plan is to convert the attached image to a Solar farm, i.e. 2.5 metre high panels surrounded by security fencing and "hedge". With improvements to biodiversity designed into the farm.

What was a public footpath thru the open countryside will be effectively a tunnel between two security fences and hedge.

Surprisingly, only the local Wildlife trust seem to be requesting rigour and re-assurances about the impact to wildlife and the surrounding area which includes an SSSI. County Council, Borough Council, Natural England, all seemed to be in favour so far, stating "not likely to have any adverse effect" if I'm reading the planning application correctly.

Also the RSPB have voiced their approval of Solar Farms, although they express concern about farms located in sensitive areas.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/26/71/3267174_b8e51dfd.jpg

Currently has breeding Skylarks, Stonechats, Linnets, Yellowhammers. Has a good track record for all the regular migrants in Autumn, especially good for Whinchat, Wheatear, Redstart, Tree Pipits. Wintering Snipe, Fieldfare etc.

I dread to think what would remain after someone has come in and "improved" the area with nest boxes, bat boxes, and a wildflower meadow. However, I have faith in the local Wildlife Trust to put their case across.

Worth keeping an eye on what happens here, wherever you are in UK.. This seems to be a growing trend with many applications springing up. There are 5 within 10 mile radius of me, a couple more across the county line in Dorset. What you see as a good place for birds and birdwatching is being eyed up as "Low Grade" agricultural and a lump sum profit by others.

Worth noting also, that the location was extremely vague, until the latter stages of the planning application. Blink, and you would certainly have missed it. Also, judging by the responses I read, the Wildlife Trust were initially missed out of the consultation. Finally, the press reports all mentioned panels 2.5 mm above ground level. They are in fact 2.5 metres above ground level. Funny how all the "errors" work in their favour!

Last edited:
Not noticed this thread, sorry!

You might be interested in the attached - suggest you rotate the view, can't seem to save other than sideways. CHOG made various representations which are paraphrased on page 7-8 (or 14? depends upon size of view).

Cheers, Mark

Attachments

• Land at East Close Farm Waterditch.pdf
    187.7 KB · Views: 61
Can't say I'd noticed the thread either ... doh.

Was driving back from birding in the week and mentioned to my passenger (another birder and ecology student) that I wasn't sure they were totally a good thing as we passed by one ...

Last edited:
cheers for the link Mark. Looking at these planning permission s, you begin to realise who really cares. Wonder if the wildlife trust were "accidentally" left out the loop as they were in the one local to me initially.

I think they could be a good thing, built on top of heavily grazed land with limited value for wildlife. The trouble is, this land is far too profitable to lose to solar farms. Warehouse roofs would be a good place to put them. Or in the gardens of the people most in favour of them :)

Solar farms strike me (as is the case with wind farms) as more "greenwash" than "green". Can't imagine they are much use during the average British winter when energy demand is at its highest. They are simply another threat to our countryside from this governments idiotic, costly energy policies. If these people want to make power from the sun, planting trees would be far more sustainable option

Last edited:
They are conning people into thinking they are doing a great thing for the environment.. They aren't.. they are out to make maximum profit, even by misleading the planners, which they are doing frequently. Every little error in the planning process and press releases are in their favour.

This article was disgusting..
http://www.romseyadvertiser.co.uk/news/11320089.Plans_for_fourth_solar_farm_in_Test_Valley_unveiled/
panels 25mm high screened from the public! Try "2.5 metres high, either side of a public footpath"! and they named the "wrong" farm to mislead further.

Another example of their misleading:
http://www.blackmorevale.co.uk/Solstice-Renewables-defends-soil-quality-Verwood/story-22979740-detail/story.html

They have already taken the RSPB's support totally out of context, and tried to use their backing to destroy Skylark habitat with solar farms. We need to watch them like Hawks.

Thanks for the link Dry Ice.. that blog was well worth reading.

The two local Solar farms are now installed and have been live for a couple of years now. No obvious benefits for birds within the sites from a small number of visits that I've made. But one site did offset the solar farm with improved breeding area for Lapwings a mile or two away which seems to be going well.

The area "saved" from development was fenced off in preparation for the solar, and looks hot nowadays with absolutely no disturbance.

The two local Solar farms are now installed and have been live for a couple of years now. No obvious benefits for birds within the sites from a small number of visits that I've made. But one site did offset the solar farm with improved breeding area for Lapwings a mile or two away which seems to be going well.

The area "saved" from development was fenced off in preparation for the solar, and looks hot nowadays with absolutely no disturbance.

Just dipped into another thread on the same topic:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=363926

I'd be interested to know if skylarks have been lost from the solar farm area you've visited. A couple of years ago there was an assumption amongst ecologists that they would be displaced - my experience of one site is that they initially hung on, but appear to have now been displaced, possibly due to replacement of grazing with mowing the land under the panels. There is very little monitoring data on effect of solar farms on birds, compared to wind farms.

Hi, I think my thread has got a bit complicated.. I haven't got any data either way regarding loss of Skylarks..

The fields with Skylarks were rejected for the Solar farms, and were left alone (albeit with extra fencing), so presumably still have a population of Skylarks.

The field that got the Solar farm instead, was usually crops, with Lapwings breeding on. No Skylarks before or after as far as I know. No Lapwings now.

A second local Solar farm which I have also visited was previously crops, doesn't look to have anything going for it birdwise. (Again don't recall Skylarks there historically). It used to attract Golden Plover in harsh Winters.
This solar farm, has been installed with the landowners improving a Lapwing Breeding area about a mile away, which is going well.

Last edited:
Hi, I think my thread has got a bit complicated.. I haven't got any data either way regarding loss of Skylarks..

The fields with Skylarks were rejected for the Solar farms, and were left alone (albeit with extra fencing), so presumably still have a population of Skylarks.

The field that got the Solar farm instead, was usually crops, with Lapwings breeding on. No Skylarks before or after as far as I know. No Lapwings now.

A second local Solar farm which I have also visited was previously crops, doesn't look to have anything going for it birdwise. (Again don't recall Skylarks there historically). It used to attract Golden Plover in harsh Winters.
This solar farm, has been installed with the landowners improving a Lapwing Breeding area about a mile away, which is going well.

Sorry, I didn't read the thread carefully enough and thought you'd mentioned skylarks in the fields which were developed.

Loss of lapwings no surprise, but it's good to hear the off-site mitigation is working.

An interesting add on to the original solar plant (the one that hasn't compensated with enhanced Lapwing habitat).
A new proposal has just been submitted for 10 Gas fueled mini power stations next to the solar, to cope with surges!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmz2apitj...QUEST_LETTER_AND_INFORMATION-1427640.pdf?dl=0

Whilst the Solar farm got in fairly easily with little objection, residents are now fearing generator noise and pollution from this additional infrastructure.

This edge of the village has been lost to a housing development, and has always been off limits. I don't think there is much wildlife at stake here. We still have plenty of Firecrests around the other village edges, and a new Nightjar site this year, so all is not doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back