• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Bird Feathe is this? (1 Viewer)

Mayan_queen

Hello,

I found this feathe and I’m curious to see if anyone knows what type of bird it came from.

I’m in between Hawk and Barn Owl. -thanks!

Attachments

• FFBD8922-A32A-4DD3-9944-B74D46891D5E.jpeg
    FFBD8922-A32A-4DD3-9944-B74D46891D5E.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
Hello M'
welcome to BF

It's closer to a male barn owls secondary feathers, R11
I'm not prepared to say you "gots" one there

Respectfully, a more detailed pic is required, which includes a ruled scale, preferably metric.

Most hawks, soaring buteos, and woodland accipiters are shaped differently, and have some sort of barring.

You can use this link and browse through the scans.
You'll see barn owls, and why yours looks similar, but likely isn't a barn owl.

Menu choice "Identify Feather" is handy for comparrison

As a matter of interest, many migratory birds and all birds of prey are protected in the US. Even possessing a found feather is in violation of laws. Sounds strict, but it does discourage ruthless collectors.

Hello M'
welcome to BF

It's closer to a male barn owls secondary feathers, R11
I'm not prepared to say you "gots" one there

Respectfully, a more detailed pic is required, which includes a ruled scale, preferably metric.

Most hawks, soaring buteos, and woodland accipiters are shaped differently, and have some sort of barring.

You can use this link and browse through the scans.
You'll see barn owls, and why yours looks similar, but likely isn't a barn owl.

Menu choice "Identify Feather" is handy for comparrison

As a matter of interest, many migratory birds and all birds of prey are protected in the US. Even possessing a found feather is in violation of laws. Sounds strict, but it does discourage ruthless collectors.

look at the beak on that thing. cute bird

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back