• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird predators - Warning! Graphic images (1 Viewer)

jrcummins84

United States
Hey,

I Saw a Robin perched in a tree with a missing head. I was wondering if there was any predator that would drag one up and only take the head. Feathers Nd everything else was in fact. I have a pic but did not want to offend anyone. I am in N Illinois

You can post the pic.

Once you do, I'll edit the title of your thread that it might be hard to look at.

Accipiter, disturbed before it finished feeding.

Consider:

- prey killed neatly (most likely caught by deep puncture wounds from talons and then a bite to the back of the neck severing the spine - often leads to headlessness in Accipiter victims)

- in tree (Accipiters often take prey to a plucking post to feed: sometimes a favourite one but can be nearest convenient)

In fact probably disturbed before it started feeding, let alone finished.

Was the head under the tree? If not, that increases the chance it was an Accipiter that killed elsewhere and moved the body.

John

I think accipiters will decapitate their prey then fly with it to a plucking post.

I once had a Eurasian Sparrowhawk hit my mist net. It got out before I could get to it but it left behind a decapitated Northern Wheatear.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back