• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice required (1 Viewer)

Doctor Diesel

Ok folks, thanks in advance for your views and knowledge

Here is the problem

I'm keen to go digiscoping and need to know if what I have will work.
I use a canon powershot pro-1 (and I have the lens adapter and TC) I also have a sony dsc-p9 camera. I currently only watch with a pair of duovid 8 & 12 X42 leicas (superb) which I use at 12x mounted on a manfrotto 055 tripod and 701rc head. (with the leica binoc mount)

I'm planning in investing in a scope and really fancy an apo77 televid with 32x eyepiece....will the pro-1 be any good with this or would I be better with a different camera.....I really like the design of the leica scope and digiscoping adapter but I will probably be viewing more than digiscoping.

what is the advice....before I buy the scope/adapter

I have already learnt about the need for a stable tripod and love the big manfrotto.......portability is not that much of an issue. (three sons who carry the gear!!)

DD

Doctor Diesel said:
I'm planning in investing in a scope and really fancy an apo77 televid with 32x eyepiece....will the pro-1 be any good with this or would I be better with a different camera.....I really like the design of the leica scope and digiscoping adapter but I will probably be viewing more than digiscoping.
Hi DD,

Sorry about inactivity... this forum is usually very helpful :t:
a Leica APO77 Televid with the 32x eyepiece is one of the very best setups for both birdwatching and digiscoping. Exceptionally good (apochromatic) colour correction reduces disturbing "purple fringing" and long eye relief of the eyepiece makes it easy to find a compatible digital camera. However, some other high end scopes are also worth considering (Zeiss, Swaro, Nikon, Kowa, Opticron). Unfortunately your Pro-1 has too long a lens for successful digiscoping - actually the Sony P9 is much better. But many compact digital cameras with 3x zoom work very well in digiscoping (Sony W7, Canon A95, Olympus SP-350...).

Adapter tubes can be found from L.C.E (London Camera Exchange), Eagle Eye, Spidertech... - or bracket-style "universal" adapters from Baader, Opticron, Zeiss, Nikon, Ace Optics (Avian Digimaster) etc.
You will find a lot of useful information eg. here http://www.digiscoped.com .

Best of luck,

Ilkka

iporali said:
Hi DD,

Sorry about inactivity... this forum is usually very helpful :t:
a Leica APO77 Televid with the 32x eyepiece is one of the very best setups for both birdwatching and digiscoping. Exceptionally good (apochromatic) colour correction reduces disturbing "purple fringing" and long eye relief of the eyepiece makes it easy to find a compatible digital camera. However, some other high end scopes are also worth considering (Zeiss, Swaro, Nikon, Kowa, Opticron). Unfortunately your Pro-1 has too long a lens for successful digiscoping - actually the Sony P9 is much better. But many compact digital cameras with 3x zoom work very well in digiscoping (Sony W7, Canon A95, Olympus SP-350...).

Adapter tubes can be found from L.C.E (London Camera Exchange), Eagle Eye, Spidertech... - or bracket-style "universal" adapters from Baader, Opticron, Zeiss, Nikon, Ace Optics (Avian Digimaster) etc.
You will find a lot of useful information eg. here http://www.digiscoped.com .

Best of luck,

Ilkka
Hi Doc, I can also recommend the 20x eyepiece for your Lieca apo 77 I use it everyday especially for closer shots ,I combine my scope with the cp4500 which is brilliant

Doctor Diesel said:
Ok folks, thanks in advance for your views and knowledge

Here is the problem

I'm keen to go digiscoping and need to know if what I have will work.
I use a canon powershot pro-1 (and I have the lens adapter and TC) I also have a sony dsc-p9 camera. I currently only watch with a pair of duovid 8 & 12 X42 leicas (superb) which I use at 12x mounted on a manfrotto 055 tripod and 701rc head. (with the leica binoc mount)

what is the advice....before I buy the scope/adapter

I have already learnt about the need for a stable tripod and love the big manfrotto.......portability is not that much of an issue. (three sons who carry the gear!!)

DD

Leica APO 77 - cracking scope get one!!
As regards the camera, try picking up a second hand CP995 or CP4500 and get used to the art of digiscoping a bit , work out what you like and dont like and then maybe shop around for a better and newer set up, alternatively you could join the majority and search for the ultimate digiscoping camera staight away!!
(i'm not sure its out there some how.....)
All the best Ian Littlewood

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back